Posted to dev@flink.apache.org by Yu Li <ca...@gmail.com> on 2019/10/30 10:54:04 UTC

[DISCUSS] FLIP-83: Flink End-to-end Performance Testing Framework

Hi everyone,

We would like to propose FLIP-83 that adds an end-to-end performance
testing framework for Flink. We discovered some potential problems through
such an internal end-to-end performance testing framework before the
release of 1.9.0 [1], so we'd like to contribute it to Flink community as a
supplement to the existing daily run micro performance benchmark [2] and
nightly run end-to-end stability test [3].

The FLIP document could be found here:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FLINK/FLIP-83%3A+Flink+End-to-end+Performance+Testing+Framework

Please kindly review the FLIP document and let us know if you have any
comments/suggestions, thanks!

[1] https://s.apache.org/m8kcq
[2] https://github.com/dataArtisans/flink-benchmarks
[3] https://github.com/apache/flink/tree/master/flink-end-to-end-tests

Best Regards,
Yu

Re: [DISCUSS] FLIP-83: Flink End-to-end Performance Testing Framework

Posted by Till Rohrmann <tr...@apache.org>.
Thanks for starting this discussion. I agree that performance tests will
help us to prevent introducing regressions.

+1 for this proposal.

Cheers,
Till

Posted by Yu Li <ca...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for the comments.

bq. I think the perf e2e test suites will also need to be designed as
supporting running on both standalone env and distributed env. will be
helpful for developing & evaluating the perf.
Agreed and marked down, the benchmark will be able to be executed in
standalone mode. On the other hand, we plan to check the result in
distributed mode to better reflect network cost for the daily run.

Best Regards,
Yu

Posted by Zhu Zhu <re...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Aihua for the explanation.
The proposal looks good to me then.

Thanks,
Zhu Zhu

aihua li <li...@gmail.com> 于2019年11月21日周四 下午3:59写道:

Posted by aihua li <li...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Zhu Zhu <re...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Yu Li <ca...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Yu Li <ca...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Yang Wang <da...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Yu for starting this discussion.

I'm in favor of adding a e2e performance testing framework. Currently the
e2e tests are mainly focused
on functionality and written in shell. We need a better e2e framework for
performance and functionality tests.

Best,
Yang

Biao Liu <mm...@gmail.com> 于2019年11月5日周二 上午10:16写道:

Posted by Biao Liu <mm...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Congxian Qiu <qc...@gmail.com>.
+1 for this idea.

Posted by Yu Li <ca...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for the suggestion Jingsong!

I've added a stage for adding more metrics in FLIP document, please check
and let me know if any further concerns. Thanks.

Best Regards,
Yu

Posted by Jingsong Li <ji...@gmail.com>.

Posted by OpenInx <op...@gmail.com>.

Posted by aihua li <li...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Yun Tang <my...@live.com>.

Posted by Piotr Nowojski <pi...@ververica.com>.
Hi Yu,

Posted by Yu Li <ca...@gmail.com>.
Hi Piotr,

Posted by Piotr Nowojski <pi...@ververica.com>.
Hi Yu,

Thanks for bringing this up.

+1 for the idea and the proposal from my side.

I think that the proposed Test Job List might be a bit redundant/excessive, but:
- we can always adjust this later, once we have the infrastructure in place
- as long as we have the computing resources and ability to quickly interpret the results/catch regressions, it doesn’t hurt to have more benchmarks/tests then strictly necessary.

Which brings me to a question. How are you planning to execute the end-to-end benchmarks and integrate them with our build process?

Another smaller question:

> In this initial stage we will only monitor and display job throughput and latency.

Are you planning to monitor the throughput and latency at the same time? It might be a bit problematic, as when measuring the throughput you want to saturate the system and hit some bottleneck, which will cause a back-pressure (measuring latency at the same time when system is back pressured doesn’t make much sense).