Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by J T <ba...@yahoo.com> on 2006/06/06 00:59:59 UTC

[users@httpd] registered domain name question

Hello,

I am new to Apache.  I have installed the apache
webserver.   I have also installed another
application named mantis on the apache webserver. I am
able to access this application (mantis)
from any computer on my network by typing the IP
address and directory into a browser.
However, I am unable to access this application from
the internet (any other computers
outside of my network).  My question is, do I have to
get a registered domain name for this to work?

Thank you in advance.

Re: [users@httpd] registered domain name question

Posted by Bjørge Solli <bj...@gmail.com>.
On Tuesday 06 June 2006 01:20, J T wrote:
> This is what I am trying to access (including the IP)
> http://192.168.1.100/mantis

This is a local area ip, it means you are behind NAT (Network Address
Translation). You have a different public ip outside your router/firewall,
see http://whatismyip.com

If you have vontrol over your NAT it is possible to get it to forward all
requests to port 80 to your internal ip. Ask your ISP about this.

You might have a dynamic public ip, then i suggest you use a service like
dyndns.org to get a dynamic domain name.

--
Bjørge

> --- Bjørge Solli <bj...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Tuesday 06 June 2006 00:59, J T wrote:
> > > Hello,
> >
> > hi
> >
> > > I am new to Apache.  I have installed the apache
> > > webserver.   I have also installed another
> > > application named mantis on the apache webserver.
> >
> > I am
> >
> > > able to access this application (mantis)
> > > from any computer on my network by typing the IP
> > > address and directory into a browser.
> > > However, I am unable to access this application
> >
> > from
> >
> > > the internet (any other computers
> > > outside of my network).  My question is, do I have

> > > get a registered domain name for this to work?
> >
> > Are you
> > 1) behind a firewall?
> > 2) behind NAT?
> >
> > If you don't know the answers, tell us the ip.
> >
> > --
> > Bjørge Solli
> > "Computers are like airconditioners, they don't work
> > properly when you open
> > windows..." (unknown)

> >    "   from the digest:
> > For additional commands, e-mail:
> > users-help@httpd.apache.org

Bjørge

Re: [users@httpd] registered domain name question

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
Charlie Moher wrote:
> Please remove me from your mailing list immediately. Thank you.

Please follow the directions to remove yourself.

Re: [users@httpd] registered domain name question

Posted by Charlie Moher <cm...@hotmail.com>.
Please remove me from your mailing list immediately. Thank you.

>From: J T <ba...@yahoo.com>
>To: users@httpd.apache.org
>Subject: Re: [users@httpd] registered domain name question
>Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2006 16:20:58 -0700 (PDT)
>
>This is what I am trying to access (including the IP)
>http://192.168.1.100/mantis
>

>--- Bjřrge Solli <bj...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Tuesday 06 June 2006 00:59, J T wrote:
> > > Hello,
> >
> > hi
> >
> > > I am new to Apache.  I have installed the apache
> > > webserver.   I have also installed another
> > > application named mantis on the apache webserver.
> > I am
> > > able to access this application (mantis)
> > > from any computer on my network by typing the IP
> > > address and directory into a browser.
> > > However, I am unable to access this application
> > from
> > > the internet (any other computers
> > > outside of my network).  My question is, do I have
> > > get a registered domain name for this to work?
> >
> > Are you
> > 1) behind a firewall?
> > 2) behind NAT?
> >
> > If you don't know the answers, tell us the ip.
> >
> > --
> > Bjřrge Solli
> > "Computers are like airconditioners, they don't work
> > properly when you open
> > windows..." (unknown)

> > For additional commands, e-mail:
> > users-help@httpd.apache.org

Have fun with your friends online! Look and sound great doing it. Start with
a video from Microsoft
http://www.microsoft.com/canada/home/videos/default.asp

Re: [users@httpd] registered domain name question

Posted by J T <ba...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Bjørge Solli <bj...@gmail.com>.
On Tuesday 06 June 2006 00:59, J T wrote:
> Hello,

hi