Posted to dev@spamassassin.apache.org by John Hardin <jh...@impsec.org> on 2021/01/22 16:54:44 UTC

Need for util_rb_4tld?

Folks:

I've been seeing more frequently lately phishing that leverages web apps
hosted by Google and Microsoft as a collection point.

I couple of days ago I added firebaseapp.com and web.app to the default
util_rb_2tld list to cover firebase apps hosted by Google.

I've just seen a couple of phishes leveraging MS Azure web apps:

   multadetrafico.eastus.cloudapp.azure.com

   multapendente.westus2.cloudapp.azure.com

Unfortunately these can't be added as they have an Azure zone in the
fourth position and we don't have a util_rb_4tld directive...

So, topic for discussion: do we need to add a util_rb_4tld for this?

Related: does URIBL register names that deep?

  jhardin@impsec.org                         pgpk -a jhardin@impsec.org
   Maxim I: Pillage, _then_ burn.
  Tomorrow: John Moses Browning's 166th Birthday

Re: Need for util_rb_4tld?

Posted by John Hardin <jh...@impsec.org>.

http://www.impsec.org/~jhardin/antispam/make_azurephish_rule.sh

https://svn.apache.org/viewvc/spamassassin/trunk/rulesrc/sandbox/jhardin/40_local_azurephish.cf?view=log

https://ruleqa.spamassassin.org/20210314-r1887624-n/PHISH_AZURE_CLOUDAPP/detail

> On Sat, Mar 13, 2021 at 11:38 PM John Hardin <jh...@impsec.org> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 13 Mar 2021, Kevin A. McGrail wrote:
>>
>>> If you have spamples and they aren't able to be blocked otherwise, a 4tld
>>> is certainly something to consider.
>>
>> I have a ruleset generated from my spam corpus in my sandbox. But that's
>> just based on the (relative) trickle of spam me and my wife get.
>>
>> They hav quieted down recently. I don't know whether it's because that
>> technique isn't working out, or they just haven't targeted me lately.

  jhardin@impsec.org                         pgpk -a jhardin@impsec.org
   Failure to plan ahead on someone else's part does not constitute
   an emergency on my part.                 -- David W. Barts in a.s.r
  Today: Daylight Saving Time begins in U.S. - Spring Forward

Re: Need for util_rb_4tld?

Posted by "Kevin A. McGrail" <km...@apache.org>.
--
Kevin A. McGrail