Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by Jimmy Lin <ji...@umd.edu> on 2008/02/05 15:37:40 UTC

Why no DoubleWritable?

Hi guys,

What's the design decision for not implementing a DoubleWritable type
that implements WritableComparable? I noticed that there are classes
corresponding to all Java primitives except for double.

Thanks in advance,
Jimmy

Re: Why no DoubleWritable?

Posted by Enis Soztutar <en...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

The reason may be that perhaps nobody needed the extra precision brought
by double compansating the extra space, compared to FloatWritable. If
you really need DoubleWritable you may write the class, which will be
straightforward, and then attach it to a jira issue so that we can add
it to the core. That's the way open sourse works after all. *smile*