Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org> on 2009/05/20 06:27:48 UTC

We may lose Confluence

Folks,

Due to a long-standing issue with Confluence, there are discussions going on
that could lead to us losing Confluence as a resource, both for generating
our web site and for our wiki. This would be really bad for Struts, which is
why I'm bringing this up now.

The core issue is that we are on a very old version of Confluence, and there
are serious scaling issues with that version. The infrastructure team very
much wants to upgrade to the latest version of Confluence, but the issue
there is that the Auto Export Plugin does not work with more recent versions
than the one we are running. This is due to some structural changes that
were made in Confluence, and the Auto Export Plugin not having been updated
for those changes.

The Auto Export Plugin is open source, but for a variety of reasons, the
resources have not been brought to bear to update the Auto Export Plugin
such that we can deploy it on a newer version of Confluence.

If you care about our continued ability to use Confluence to generate our
web site, and our wiki, please consider getting involved in at least the
discussions on the infrastructure mailing lists. If you think you might be
able to help with updating the plugin itself, your help would be very much
appreciated. Again, joining the discussion on the infrastructure list would
be the place to start.

Personally, it horrifies me to think of how much work would be involved in
migrating all of our content to a different wiki, let alone compensating for
the loss of various Confluence plugins and macros (e.g. snippets).

As mentioned, the Auto Export Plugin is open source, and lives here:

http://code.google.com/p/couldit-autoexport/ious

Your thoughts and comments can be brought up on the
infrastructure@a.omailing list.

--
Martin Cooper

Re: We may lose Confluence

Posted by Don Brown <mr...@twdata.org>.
If it hasn't been linked to already, see
https://tracker.adaptavist.com/browse/GSE-1590

Don

Re: We may lose Confluence

Posted by Musachy Barroso <mu...@gmail.com>.
ok the xml export is the bad one (revision information and a lot of
stuff is exported). The html export is not that bad, so we could use
that until we have a better solution, it would be a manual step in the
release process.

musachy

Re: We may lose Confluence

Posted by Don Brown <mr...@twdata.org>.
Yes, get the auto-export plugin working with the latest version of
Confluence, then we can upgrade like normal.

Don

Re: We may lose Confluence

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.
On Thu, May 21, 2009 at 1:04 PM, Dave Newton <ne...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Martin Cooper wrote:
>
>> On Thu, May 21, 2009 at 6:31 AM, Musachy Barroso <mu...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>  I am playing with "space export", but that thing is slower than windows
>>> 95.
>>>

>> This is, in part, due to the old version of Confluence that we are
>> running.
>> Infra wants to upgrade, but can't because of the use of the Auto Export
>> Plugin. That plugin has been the sticking point for a *very* long time
>> now,
>> hence no upgrade, hence very, very poor performance in some areas. (One of
>> the most-affected areas is administration, which is very painful right now
>> and won't improve until we can upgrade, hence infra's "fix it or lose it"
>> approach right now.)
>>

> is this something that could be resolved by creating an updated export
> plugin?

By updating the Auto Export Plugin to account for the changes in Confluence,
yes. This is not related to the way in which spaces are (manually) exported
to XML or PDF, though.

--
Martin Cooper

Re: We may lose Confluence

Posted by Dave Newton <ne...@yahoo.com>.

Re: We may lose Confluence

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.

Re: We may lose Confluence

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.
On Thu, May 21, 2009 at 6:36 AM, Musachy Barroso <mu...@gmail.com> wrote:

> another thing, what generates the content under this?
> http://cwiki.apache.org/WW/ , is it the export plugin?

Dunno. You'd need to ask someone on infra, or at least someone who has
access to the box.

--
Martin Cooper

Re: We may lose Confluence

Posted by Don Brown <mr...@twdata.org>.
Yes, then the files are rsynced to our regular www directory.

Don

Re: We may lose Confluence

Posted by Musachy Barroso <mu...@gmail.com>.

Re: We may lose Confluence

Posted by Musachy Barroso <mu...@gmail.com>.

Re: We may lose Confluence

Posted by Rene Gielen <gi...@it-neering.net>.

Re: We may lose Confluence

Posted by Musachy Barroso <mu...@gmail.com>.

Re: We may lose Confluence

Posted by Musachy Barroso <mu...@gmail.com>.

Re: We may lose Confluence

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.

Re: We may lose Confluence

Posted by Musachy Barroso <mu...@gmail.com>.

Re: We may lose Confluence

Posted by Wes Wannemacher <we...@wantii.com>.
Yikes! Although confluence has made me angry recently, I agree that our docs
would seriously suffer if we lost it... I'll join in the infra mailing list
and see if I can't help out with the source. Thanks for bringing this to our
attention Martin!

-Wes

--

Wes Wannemacher