Posted to users@qpid.apache.org by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com> on 2016/04/26 16:41:42 UTC

[DISCUSS] removing the 'proton/contrib/proton-jms' module

As per the subject, I'd like to suggest removing
'proton/contrib/proton-jms' module.

It was written as part of adding AMQP 1.0 support to the ActiveMQ 5.x
broker and then contributed to Proton, and used across ActiveMQ
5.x/Artemis/Apollo. The code was since pulled back into ActiveMQ 5.x
to accommodate changes to better suit its needs and release schedules,
with Artemis now also using that variant, and Apollo is no longer
being worked on these days. As such, I don't know of anything in
particular using it going forward. The statistics
repository.apache.org gives for maven central usage suggest little to
nothing is, with use already dropping significantly some time ago,
probably coinciding with the change in ActiveMQ 5.x.

As nobody is really maintaining it, or appears to be using it, I think
it should be removed.

Thoughts?

Robbie

Re: [DISCUSS] removing the 'proton/contrib/proton-jms' module

Posted by Clebert Suconic <cs...@redhat.com>.
+1

Posted by Timothy Bish <ta...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rob Godfrey <ro...@gmail.com>.
Makes sense to me, it always seemed to me that it would be a better fit
under the ActiveMQ project

-- Rob

Posted by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com>.
On 26 April 2016 at 15:41, Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com> wrote:
> As per the subject, I'd like to suggest removing
> 'proton/contrib/proton-jms' module.
>
> It was written as part of adding AMQP 1.0 support to the ActiveMQ 5.x
> broker and then contributed to Proton, and used across ActiveMQ
> 5.x/Artemis/Apollo. The code was since pulled back into ActiveMQ 5.x
> to accommodate changes to better suit its needs and release schedules,
> with Artemis now also using that variant, and Apollo is no longer
> being worked on these days. As such, I don't know of anything in
> particular using it going forward. The statistics
> repository.apache.org gives for maven central usage suggest little to
> nothing is, with use already dropping significantly some time ago,
> probably coinciding with the change in ActiveMQ 5.x.
>
> As nobody is really maintaining it, or appears to be using it, I think
> it should be removed.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Robbie

This has now been done via https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PROTON-1188