Posted to dev@tuscany.apache.org by Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com> on 2006/06/19 12:50:37 UTC

Update on cross language interop testing

I've done more work on this. The issues that have been raised so far

Java
  None raised so far

C++
  JIRA444 - Causes crash
  JIRA445
  JIRA447
  JIRA448 - Causes crash - Pete has fixed
  JIRA449
  JIRA450
  JIRA451
  JIRA452
  JIRA453

Off the two that cause runtime crashes 444 remains unresolved. The others
lead to output that doesn't match the input.

PHP
  As C++ (as it is based on C++) plus
  PECL7878
  PECL7879
  PECL7880

Of these 7878 and 7879 as usability issues. I'm going to take a look a 7880

There is still more testing to do, particularly around Axis2 between Java
and C++, but most things have been working so far so my confidence levels
are building.

>From my previous mail on this subject I'm still undecided about where to put
the code. There is not much code involved but it needs to live somewhere. I've
been assuming to date that the test code will happily live within each
project somewhere (where is a good place in each project structure?), for
example, it could be

Java: tuscany/java/sdo/impl/src/test/org/apache/Tuscany/sdo/interop
C++: tuscany/cpp/sdo/runtime/core/interop
PHP: tuscanyphp/sdo-1.0.1/tests/interop

The input files (XSD, XML, DDL etc) themselves are common across all
projects. So where should they live?

1/  Just pick on project, C++/Java/PHP, and put the common files there. You
have to check the files out and move them around to set up for testing

2/ Duplicate the common files across all projects. Leads to maintenance
problem but is convenient for running the tests

3/ Create some common interop directory somewhere. Don't know where this
would be

As the projects are spread across Apache and PECL I would go for option 2
and suffer the maintenance burden. I.e. to test PHP I don't really want to
ask the developer to go and retrieve files from Apache.
Thoughts?

Simon

Re: Update on cross language interop testing

Posted by Frank Budinsky <fr...@ca.ibm.com>.
+1 from me on Ant's suggestion.

"Simon Laws" <si...@googlemail.com> wrote on 06/19/2006 10:59:05 AM:

> Ok, Ant, that sounds like a good compromise. So we have two copies of
the
> common resources
>
> 1/ tuscany/interop/resources
> 2/ tuscanyphp/sdo-1.0.1/tests/interop
>
> The test programs themselves live in test directories under the
appropriate
> projects.
>
> I'm just refactoring the XSD/XML files a little so when they are done
I'll

Posted by Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.