Posted to dev@bloodhound.apache.org by Anoop Nayak <an...@gmail.com> on 2013/07/03 04:42:50 UTC

Re: Request for a mentor for COMDEV-92 Live Syntax Highlighting

Hi Brane,

I looked through the BEP in detail. So should I make a BEP of the issue
481. What would you suggest. And since I'm applying for the mentoring
program, it seems I need to find a mentor first and submit my proposal by
July 15. In the meanwhile I'm digging deeper into code now. Please do
advice on what to do.

And to all devs, since Brane is a little busy, would any of the other devs
able to help me out?

Thanks in advance,
Anoop

On 30.06.2013 13:31, Anoop Nayak wrote:
> Hi devs,
>
> I'm a newbie to open source and I knew about contributing to opensource
> projects only a week back. I had attended the ICFOSS ASF Mentoring Program
> from June 20th to 23rd conducted by Luciano Resende. I'm fairly good at
> python and I currently am a student who earns a little doing Django sites.
> Since I'm totally new to the community I would like to get a mentor for
the
> project. For the past week I was learning on how Bloodhound works. Now
that
> I know a bit I think I'm ready to start off. Hoping for a positive reply
> soon.

Hi Anoop,

Welcome!

You really want to look at:

    https://issues.apache.org/bloodhound/ticket/481

Bloodhound is self-hosting and we only posted issues to Jira because
that's where they get picked up from for GSoC submissions. :)

Anyone on this list will be happy to help you along. The usual approach
is to begin a design discussion here on this list, and when the
specifics of the feature you want to work on are a bit clearer, follow
that up with a formal feature proposal, see

    https://issues.apache.org/bloodhound/wiki/Proposals

Of course, none of the above red-tape is stopping you from just diving
in and hacking along, but we do prefer to have a BEP written up fairly
early -- it doubles as documentation as well as feature specification.
Regarding code changes, Please begin by reading the following:

    https://issues.apache.org/bloodhound/wiki/BloodhoundContributing

if you're not already an Apache committer (and I assume you're not; I
don't find your name on the list), you'll begin by submitting patches to
this list, and someone will review them and commit them, giving
appropriate credit. When we feel comfortable with your submissions,
you'll be invited to become a committer and given commit access.

Before that can happen, however, you'll have to submit an ICLA to the
ASF; see the section "Contributor License Agreements" here:

    http://www.apache.org/licenses/

In fact I suggest you read that and perhaps submit the ICLA sooner
rather than later. The ASF requires an ICLA for any non-trivial
contributions. Also, if you don't feel comfortable with submitting the
ICLA, or your employer/schhool/etc. do not allow you to do so, it's
better to be aware of that sooner rather than later.

Do note that the ICLA is /not/ a copyright assignment: your work remains
your own. It is a license given by you to the ASF that it may publish
your contribution as part of an Apache release, licensed under the
Apache License. Also, the ICLA is not binding in any way, it does not
require you to contribute code to the ASF, and any code that you do not
specifically contribute (i.e., post here as a patch proposal or commit
to the ASF repository) does not fall under its provisions.

Finally -- I'd volunteer to be your mentor but right now don't have
enough time to do that properly. If you have any questions about the
project or the workings of the ASF, feel free to raise them on this list.

-- Brane

--
Branko Čibej | Director of Subversion
WANdisco // Non-Stop Data

Re: Request for a mentor for COMDEV-92 Live Syntax Highlighting

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@wandisco.com>.
On 11.07.2013 16:31, Anoop Nayak wrote:
> In the meanwhile I'm not sure if I have spelt Brane's name correctly.

Congrats, you did spell it correctly. :)

Posted by Anoop Nayak <an...@gmail.com>.
Hi Joe, Branko,

I have added a new child page for the proposal in the Mentoring Programme.
I will update the contents soon after putting in this mailing list for
approval. In the meanwhile I'm not sure if I have spelt Brane's name
correctly. Please look through and advice. Here's the link:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/COMDEV/Proposal+for+Apache+BloodHound+-+Anoop+Nayak

Thanks & Regards,

--
Anoop

Re: Request for a mentor for COMDEV-92 Live Syntax Highlighting

Posted by Anoop Nayak <an...@gmail.com>.
Thanks a million :)

--
Anoop

Re: Request for a mentor for COMDEV-92 Live Syntax Highlighting

Posted by Joe Dreimann <jo...@wandisco.com>.

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@wandisco.com>.

Posted by Anoop Nayak <an...@gmail.com>.
Hi all,

It seems the I have got access to make a child page in Apache Mentoring
Programme wiki and so I'm advised to start there. But now to complete that
I need myself a mentor. Could any of you volunteer?

@Joe, @Brane

Could I add you all as my mentors? I would require a little technical
support initially and then I will figure out the rest. Please do consider
my request and do respond as soon as possible. I need to make the child
page here [
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/COMDEV/ASF-ICFOSS+Pilot+Mentoring+Programme]
by 12th July. Sorry if I'm late.

If the above people are not available I request anybody of the devs would
volunteer. This program is really important start for me.

Hoping for a reply soon

-- Anoop

Posted by Anze Staric <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Anoop Nayak <an...@gmail.com>.
Hi Anze,

--
Anoop

Re: Request for a mentor for COMDEV-92 Live Syntax Highlighting

Posted by Anze Staric <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Anoop Nayak <an...@gmail.com>.
Hi all,

--
Anoop

Re: Request for a mentor for COMDEV-92 Live Syntax Highlighting

Posted by "Pranay B. Sodre" <pr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gary Martin <ga...@wandisco.com>.

Posted by Joachim Dreimann <jo...@wandisco.com>.
Hi Anoop,

--
Joachim Dreimann | *User Experience Manager*

WANdisco // *Non-Stop Data*

e. joachim.dreimann@wandisco.com
twitter @jdreimann <https://twitter.com/jdreimann>