Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by George Hester <he...@hotmail.com> on 2004/03/20 17:26:59 UTC

[users@httpd] Changing Port Apache listens on?

I am using Apache 1.3 downloaded and installed in Cygwin on Windows 2000 Server SP3.
I use IIS for my website but want to investigae using Apache.
That means I have to change the port Apache listens on.
So I went here to find out how to change the port that Apache listens on:

http://www.dslwebserver.com/main/fr_index.html?/main/sbs-Apache-2035-change-port-number.html

I did a search in C:\cygwin on httpd and found these:

cyghttpd.dll in c:\cygwin\bin
httpd.conf in c:\cygwin\etc\apache
httpd.conf.default in c:\cygwin\etc\apache
httpd.h in c:\cygwin\usr\inlude\apache
httpd.exe in c:\cygwin\usr\sbin
httpd.8 in c:\cygwin\usr\share\man\man8
httpd.pid in c:\cygwin\var\run
httpd.html.en in c:\cygwin\var\www\htdocs\maual\programs
httpd.html.html in c:\cygwin\var\www\htdocs\maual\programs
httpd.html.ja.js in c:\cygwin\var\www\htdocs\maual\programs

Following the above article I assume I want to make the change in httpd.conf in c:\cygwin\etc\apache.
So to that end I opened httpd.conf in Notepad and did a search on listen.

It seems there is no "listen" 80 in this file but Apache is Listening on port 80.
Everything in httpd.conf that has anything to do with "listen" look to
be just comments.  I can find no listen 80 anywhere.

So how do I change the port that Apache 1.3 is listening on.  I have included the
htypd.conf so you can see what I am talking about.  Thanks.

George Hester
__________________________________

Re: [users@httpd] Changing Port Apache listens on?

Posted by Daniel Guido <in...@speakeasy.net>.
version 1.3 uses Port i think.  2.0 uses Listen.

just on a side note, i would reccommend using the win32 binary of apache
on windows instead of going through cygwin to get used to it.  it's very
stable and uses the same configuration file syntax.

dan

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On Sat, 20 Mar 2004, George Hester wrote:

> I am using Apache 1.3 downloaded and installed in Cygwin on Windows 2000 Server SP3.

Unless you have some very particular reason for doing otherwise, you
should use apache 2.0 and you should use the native windows version, not
the cygwin version.

> It seems there is no "listen" 80 in this file but Apache is Listening on port 80.
> Everything in httpd.conf that has anything to do with "listen" look to
> be just comments.  I can find no listen 80 anywhere.

Listen 80
is the default in apache 1.3.  If you want something else, just put it in:
Listen 88
for example.

And please don't attach your entire httpd.conf unless absolutely
necessary.

Joshua.

[users@httpd] Re: Re: Changing Port Apache listens on?

Posted by George Hester <he...@hotmail.com>.
I have Daniel.  I just don't like the added System Tray nag.  Got to find some way to stop that.

George Hester
__________________________________

Re: [users@httpd] Re: Changing Port Apache listens on?

Posted by Daniel Guido <in...@speakeasy.net>.

Re: [users@httpd] Re: Re: Re: Re: Changing Port Apache listens on?

Posted by Jeff White <jl...@earthlink.net>.
From: "George Hester"

> Nice thanks.  I did unix2dos on
> httpd.conf and now the entire thing
> is clear.  Thanks for pointing out those utilities.

Get the free ConTEXT editor
and the color file for Apache Conf
(Apache color file needs Apache2
reworking - or copy and create an
Apache2 color file)

ConTEXT also changes Unix to Dos:

After you load in any file go to:
Tools->Convert text to ->
DOS
Unicode
UNIX
Mac

ConTEXT
http://www.fixedsys.com/context/

Text Coloring for:
Apache Config
ASP
ASP-JS
CSharp
MS Interface Definition Language (IDL)
NT/2K Batch
PHP
VBScript
Visual Basic .NET
Windows Resource Scripts
And many more and easy to
create/change the color files

I use ConTEXT for Windows Scripting and
for those quick .NET Framework assemblies.

There's a lot in those .NET Framework classes!

Jeff

[users@httpd] Re: Re: Re: Re: Changing Port Apache listens on?

Posted by George Hester <he...@hotmail.com>.

Re: [users@httpd] Re: Re: Re: Changing Port Apache listens on?

Posted by shane c branch <sc...@barton.edu>.

Posted by Jonathan Mangin <jo...@comcast.net>.
See if Wordpad works better. Do NOT investigate the joys of vi yet.

I don't think you understand.  In httpd.conf EVERYTHING looks like comments.
EVERYTHING.  Not somethings but EVERYTHING.
This is an issue of linebreaks not appearing in Notepad which is what I am
using to view the file.
When I tried posting in this post what it looked like to me the line breaks
appeared correctly.
I have fixed the issue.  But only because when I tried to post the way the
file looks to me the linebreaks became clear which they wer NOT viewing
httpd.conf
in Notepad.

There was no installer in this installation.  The way it works is like this:

Cygwin | Setup | Apache | done.

That's it no more and no less.  That's all.  Once that was done I was at the
mercy of reading
locations on the web what to do to get it going and the fact that the
linebreaks
were not appearing in httpd.conf I was at a loss where to change the port.

George Hester
__________________________________
"Bill Tribley" <> wrote in message
> You may be confused because of the use of defaults. It is standard
practice to include commented statements of all defaulted parameters. If you
don't like the default, you uncomment and change. Be grateful for the
comments. In the bad old days all you got was the code, and it wasn't very
readable.

> Apache is a complex system. The header clearly encourages the installer to
really read the thing and understand it before diving in. I think if you do
that you will get used to the flowing form.

[users@httpd] Re: Re: Re: Re: Changing Port Apache listens on?

Posted by George Hester <he...@hotmail.com>.
I have done that.  The Cygwin version went belly up over the weekend.

George Hester
__________________________________

Posted by Brian Dessent <br...@dessent.net>.

Posted by George Hester <he...@hotmail.com>.

RE: [users@httpd] Re: Re: Changing Port Apache listens on?

Posted by Bill Tribley <bi...@tribley.org>.

Posted by George Hester <he...@hotmail.com>.
Did that:

Posted by Jonathan Mangin <jo...@comcast.net>.

Posted by George Hester <he...@hotmail.com>.
The trouble is in the httpd.conf file I posted EVERYTHING looks like comments
I cannot tell where comments begin or end.
EVERYTHING looks like comments.
This may be an issue of being in UNIX format not sure.
All I know is that EVERYTHING looks like comments.

George Hester

Posted by hunter <th...@sympatico.ca>.