Posted to derby-user@db.apache.org by Johann NG <ns...@yahoo.fr> on 2006/09/25 15:05:40 UTC

COALESCE ArrayIndexOutOfBoundException

Hi,
 A great thanks to the Apache Derby Team!

 I’m  using Apache Derby 10.1.3.1 in an embedded mode with Apache Tomcat 5.0.28 and a  1.4.2_03 Java platform. I took the Apache Derby  enterprise integration type described in Lance Bader’s article :  http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/db2/library/techarticle/dm-0508bader/

 I’ve  got a problem to pass an SQL NULL argument from a JSP to a SELECT query  with COALESCE  function .

 My  initial objective was to execute this query with  the JSTL sql tag library  :

 SELECT  ID_ITM, ITM_NAME, ITM_CODE
     FROM  ITEMS
     WHERE  ITM_CODE = COALESCE(?,ITM_CODE )

 ITM_CODE is a NUMERIC column, here’s the DDL script of the ITEMS  table :
 CREATE  TABLE  ITEMS (
         ID_ITM                BIGINT NOT  NULL  GENERATED ALWAYS AS  IDENTITY,
         ITM_CODE              NUMERIC  (22) NOT  NULL,
         ITM_NAME              VARCHAR  (50),
         ITM_LAST_MODIFIED     DATE
     )
 ;

 I  got this message error :
 : The  exception 'java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException: -1' was thrown while  evaluating an expression. SQLSTATE: XJ001: Java exception: '-1:  java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException'. (Apache Derby snapshot-10.2.0.4  client driver)

 : Invalid  data conversion: Parameter object type is invalid for requested conversion.  (Apache Derby  release 10.1.3.1 client  driver)

 When  I searched in Derby’s documentation, I’ve found that COALESCE  is not documented nor completely supported.

Is it a resolved BUG for future release or is it necessary to open a new BUG issue?

Regards,
 J.Bert NG SING  KWONG

 Découvrez un nouveau moyen de poser toutes vos questions quelque soit le sujet ! Yahoo! Questions/Réponses pour partager vos connaissances, vos opinions et vos expériences. Cliquez ici.