Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Aaron Longwell <li...@newmedialogic.com> on 2003/06/13 07:09:14 UTC

[OT] MVC / Model 2 for Microsoft ???

I hope I don't start a huge debate....

with that intro, here goes.

I am a freelance web developer. I've been struggling lately with not
being able to use the Struts framework on ALL projects. Specifically, I
do work with a number of Microsoft Devotees. For several sites, this has
meant developing in old ASP.... like playing with Duplos compared to Struts.

I have been spending some time learning the .NET framework. So far it
looks great... er, the features that look like Java look great. But
then, why wouldn't I just use the more open, polished,
community-oriented, original... Java? So now to the point... I don't
have a choice for some projects... I have to use .NET.

I am curious if anyone is aware of an MVC-type framework for .NET. I am
NOT looking for a Struts port to .NET. I started doing a little
research, searching for things like "Best Practices"  or ".NET Patterns"
etc. I found almost nothing... no best practices guides. Not even a
single recommendation about builing Object-based backend systems. In
fact, most books I've read on ASP.NET and .NET in general have focused
on database access code directly in the ASPX page itself....(in the
"Code Behind" section).

Am I:

1) Naive to not notice that Java Enterprise developers are light-years
ahead of MS developers in terms of programming practices, design
patterns, and role separation?

2) Mistaken? There really are MVC frameworks in .NET... but they are all
internal... and no community oriented projects exist.

Thanks for the input.

Aaron Longwell

Re: [OT] MVC / Model 2 for Microsoft ???

Posted by Alen Ribic <al...@mweb.co.za>.
heheh MS Java (don't forget the MS in front :))
To my knowledge, I don't think is fully compliant to real Java(TM).
--Alen

Posted by Aaron Longwell <li...@newmedialogic.com>.

Posted by Aaron Longwell <li...@newmedialogic.com>.
My jaw dropped when I read the headline on this page.... I haven't read
the article yet.

 From our short discussion, I think my first theory was right:

"1) Naive to not notice that Java Enterprise developers are light-years

ahead of MS developers in terms of programming practices, design
patterns, and role separation?"

I have numerous friends who are dedicated Microsoft developers.... none
of them have ever considered developing with SharpDevelop
(http://www.icsharpcode.net/OpenSource/SD/Default.aspx).. and very few
know or use online resources (mailing lists, forums, etc).

So here's my conclusion. MS Developers are interested in Best Practices
techniques and many probably use an MVC-type design for their apps. They
just don't talk about it. That brings me to the most compelling argument
for using Java over .NET (and using Linux over Windows for that matter):
The community of developers/admins/etc.

With Java, you don't need to spend millions to go visit TechNet
conferences... you still can if your company is so inclined... but
there's way more interaction happening online... Interaction that
eventually turns into things like Model 2, Struts, etc.

Posted by Mark Lowe <ma...@talk21.com>.
Sorry I'm bored with this whole Microsoft subject...

If you want to waste your money and only deploy of windows thats your
look out.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/usergroups/find.asp

Posted by Alen Ribic <al...@mweb.co.za>.
MVC and ASP.NET

Posted by Aaron Longwell <li...@newmedialogic.com>.
Ted,

Thanks for the detailed info on .NET ports. Keep us posted on how you
like Maverick! I've downloaded the docs and code and I'll be taking a
look over the next few months. Not too sure what I think yet.

Aaron

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.

Aaron Longwell wrote:
> I hope I don't start a huge debate....
>
> with that intro, here goes.
>
> I am a freelance web developer. I've been struggling lately with not
> being able to use the Struts framework on ALL projects. Specifically, I
> do work with a number of Microsoft Devotees. For several sites, this has
> meant developing in old ASP.... like playing with Duplos compared to
> Struts.
>
> I have been spending some time learning the .NET framework. So far it
> looks great... er, the features that look like Java look great. But
> then, why wouldn't I just use the more open, polished,
> community-oriented, original... Java? So now to the point... I don't
> have a choice for some projects... I have to use .NET.
>
> I am curious if anyone is aware of an MVC-type framework for .NET. I am
> NOT looking for a Struts port to .NET. I started doing a little
> research, searching for things like "Best Practices"  or ".NET Patterns"
> etc. I found almost nothing... no best practices guides. Not even a
> single recommendation about builing Object-based backend systems. In
> fact, most books I've read on ASP.NET and .NET in general have focused
> on database access code directly in the ASPX page itself....(in the
> "Code Behind" section).
>
> Am I:
>
> 1) Naive to not notice that Java Enterprise developers are light-years
> ahead of MS developers in terms of programming practices, design
> patterns, and role separation?
>
> 2) Mistaken? There really are MVC frameworks in .NET... but they are all
> internal... and no community oriented projects exist.
>
> Thanks for the input.
>
> Aaron Longwell

Ted Husted,

Re: [OT] MVC / Model 2 for Microsoft ???

> I am curious if anyone is aware of an MVC-type framework for .NET. I am
> NOT looking for a Struts port to .NET. I started doing a little
> research, searching for things like "Best Practices"  or ".NET Patterns"
> etc. I found almost nothing... no best practices guides. Not even a
> single recommendation about builing Object-based backend systems. In
> fact, most books I've read on ASP.NET and .NET in general have focused
> on database access code directly in the ASPX page itself....(in the
> "Code Behind" section).

you can have a look at the .NET petshop:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/architecture/default.aspx?pull=/library/en-us/dnbda/html/PetShop3x.asp

"The new .NET Pet Shop 3.0 incorporates community feedback with an improved
architecture that follows Microsoft Prescriptive Architecture Guidelines,
and will be benchmarked by the Middleware Company in June, 2003 to compare
with several J2EE implementations of the same application"

Re: [OT] MVC / Model 2 for Microsoft ???

Posted by Klaasjan Brand <kl...@topicus.nl>.
On Fri, 2003-06-13 at 07:09, Aaron Longwell wrote:

> 2) Mistaken? There really are MVC frameworks in .NET... but they are all
> internal... and no community oriented projects exist.

Well, there's maverick (mav.sourceforge.net); a Struts "competitor" MVC
framework which, although originally written in Java, has been ported to
.NET (and even PHP). No idea how far that port has progressed though..

--
Klaasjan Brand <kl...@topicus.nl>
Topicus B.V.

Re: [OT] MVC / Model 2 for Microsoft ???

Posted by Erik Price <ep...@ptc.com>.

Adam Hardy wrote:
> MVC is never used as a term in the Microsoft world that I know of.

But this makes complete sense, in a sick way.  In a MS environment,
portability probably isn't as big a concern, and while there are
certainly other reasons to use MVC, it strikes me that the biggest is to
maintain abstractions between the various layers.

If you're a MS shop, you probably have SQL server, ASP and IIS -- and MS
has little interest in making it easy to change this.  So why spend time
building up a MVC framework if you know that you're pretty much married
to certain technologies?

No thanks.

Erik

Re: [OT] MVC / Model 2 for Microsoft ???

Posted by Adam Hardy <ah...@cyberspaceroad.com>.
MVC is never used as a term in the Microsoft world that I know of. When
I was doing Microsoft stuff as well as java, up to the intro of .NET,
the architectural paradigm for building "best practice" apps was based
around the Microsoft Solutions Framework or MSF. You have to know all
about that to get the MSCD in "Analyzing Requirements and Defining
Solution Architectures".

I still have the MSCD training kit book for the exam, while I've sold
all the rest of my VB, MTS, COM & ASP books. It's got alot of useful
principles / patterns in it.

I might have changed since .NET hit the streets though. I dumped
Microsoft rather than learn .NET, in order to concentrate on Java, which
is huge enough without wanting to keep up to date on the MS stuff as well.

Adam

Posted by Alen Ribic <al...@mweb.co.za>.
Ye, and you can call it .NUTS design pattern. :)

(just jokes 'couse)
--Alen

Posted by Brandon Goodin <ma...@phase.ws>.