Posted to dev@pivot.apache.org by Greg Brown <gk...@mac.com> on 2009/06/19 17:39:41 UTC

JNLP help

Hi all,

I'm trying to add JNLP files to the WARs produced by the deploy
target. I want the files to use a relative codebase so we can test
them locally (and also for maintainability reasons). However, I am not
having any luck getting this to work.

I generate the JNLP files using the same token replacement approach
we're using for the HTML files. Here's the JNLP template for the
Kitchen Sink app:

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/pivot/trunk/demos/www/kitchen_sink.template.jnlp

I don't see anything obviously wrong with it, yet when I try to launch
the generated JNLP file, I'm told that:

"The field <jar>href has an invalid value: lib/pivot-core-1.3-
incubating.jar,lib/pivot-core-1.3-incubating.jar"

The lib directory does exist, as does the pivot-core-1.3-
incubating.jar file.

I don't have a lot of experience with JNLP, so maybe I'm doing
something wrong. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,
Greg

Re: JNLP help

Posted by Greg Brown <gk...@mac.com>.
>> I want the files to use a relative codebase so we can test them
>> locally (and also for maintainability reasons). However, I am not
>> having any luck getting this to work.
>
> I tried too various combinations of codebase and href, without
> success, with similar errors. Internet resources tell it should work
> (although they point more to applets than to applications) but not
> for me (Windows XP).

Well, I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one having difficulty.  ;-)

> For what it is worth, reference at http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/technotes/guides/javaws/developersguide/syntax.html
> says you should use a <j2se> tag, not a <java> one like I see in
> your template.

Originally, I had it as "j2se", but the element section of that
document lists "java" first and "j2se" as optional, so I changed it. I
hadn't noticed that, throughout the rest of the doc, they use "j2se".
I think Sun needs to clean this page up a bit.

Re: JNLP help

Posted by Sandro Martini <sa...@gmail.com>.
Hi to all,
after some days off-line I'm back ...

There should be a dedicated Servlet that does the substitution inside
jnlp files, as in Sun doc/demos (
http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/technotes/guides/javaws/developersguide/downloadservletguide.html
), and you can find it inside JDK sample/jnlp/servlet, .
Since Java 6 Update 10 should be no more required ... but from what
I've read here it seems to be still required :-) or if not the
Servlet, with jsp or other tricks ...

Some year ago (when i used Web Start for deploy real-world
applications) i used some jsp pages to generate and fill jnlp file,
and i agree is not the best ...

For local (relative) paths i've read something on wrong jar caching,
and i don't know if has been solved now. If someone tries, can tell,
please ?

Ah, to simplify things I've never used the version-download feature,
nor the jardiff, they could be very useful but i had enough problems
with the rest ... but was in the past (some years ago).

> Originally, I had it as "j2se", but the element section of that document lists "java" first and "j2se" as optional, so I changed it. I hadn't noticed that, throughout the rest of the doc, they use "j2se".
Ok, but <java> will require Java 6 (maybe Update 10), so for Pivot 1.3
no problem.

> I think Sun needs to clean this page up a bit.
I think that Sun should rewrite some parts of this from scratch ...
and from another point of view i think they have created their new
packaging system (IPS, for Solaris, and for all main other platforms)
to solve some of these issues.
In next months I'll make some experiments with it, and Pivot but using
a dedicated SecurityManager to ensure (ad-hoc test evil) Pivot apps
cannot make problems or damages to the system ... if someone is
interested, tell me.

An useful trick could be to use the <extension> mechanism of Web Start:
split jnlp files in one (or more) with the definition of Pivot-only
jars (for example one with only pivot jars, one with also dependency
jars, etc) in dedicated jnlp files (standard, using the component-desc
syntax), and the user-specific jnlp file linking to them, so i would
never touch them.
I could also point to jars published in the main Pivot Site, to ensure
the (online) usage of standard jars ... on this i wrote a mail some
week ago but none answered ... tell me if mow someone is interested.
In this case another useful trick could be to have on the site also
the pack.gz version of the jars ... but attention with signed jars,
they have to be packed in a different way (there is a doc describing
it).

Tell me for a sample or other info or tests ...

Bye,
Sandro

Re: JNLP help

Posted by Greg Brown <gk...@mac.com>.
Yeah, I could do that. I am packaging the JNLP files in a WAR - I
could just use JSP to generate them. But that's annoying, since
relative codebases are supposed to be supported.  >:-(

Re: JNLP help

Posted by Philippe Lhoste <Ph...@GMX.net>.

Re: JNLP help

Posted by Greg Brown <gk...@mac.com>.
That's a good workaround for launching the files locally - thank you
for digging that up. Unfortunately, it won't work when deploying the
JNLP files to a web server.

Looks like it might be time to submit another bug report to Sun...

Re: JNLP help

Re: JNLP help

Posted by Philippe Lhoste <Ph...@GMX.net>.
On 19/06/2009 17:39, Greg Brown wrote:
> I want the files to use a relative codebase so we can test them locally
> (and also for maintainability reasons). However, I am not having any
> luck getting this to work.

I tried too various combinations of codebase and href, without success,
with similar errors. Internet resources tell it should work (although
they point more to applets than to applications) but not for me (Windows
XP).

> I don't have a lot of experience with JNLP

Neither me... :-(

Re: JNLP help

Posted by Greg Brown <gk...@mac.com>.
Thanks. That one uses an absolute codebase, like the one on the Wiki:

http://cwiki.apache.org/PIVOT/index.data/kitchen_sink.jnlp

I'm trying to use a relative codebase. It is supposedly supported in
Java 6 and above, but I can't seem to get it to work.

Re: JNLP help

Posted by Todd Volkert <tv...@gmail.com>.

Re: JNLP help

Posted by Greg Brown <gk...@mac.com>.
I have tried launching it from the file system as well as from a web
server - no luck either way.

Re: JNLP help

Posted by Christopher Brind <br...@brindy.org.uk>.