Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by Janine DeBeradinis <jd...@higherone.com> on 2011/05/12 21:39:16 UTC

Include Contoller and Simple Controller

Hello -

I am currently using an Include Controller to call other jmx files to execute some HTTP requests and such.  The test that I call, contains a Simple Controller and then HTTP requests and such underneath that.  In order to get the Include Controller to call the test with the Simple Controller and run correctly, it seemed I had to place the Simple Controller and its requests, underneath the Workbench node.  However, looking at the workbench further, it appears as though it is not encouraged to save items to it that you want to reuse.  So, my question is, is there another way to get this desired behavior?  When I place the Simple Controller under a Thread Group, the test that calls this does not run properly.

Thank you.
Janine

Re: Include Contoller and Simple Controller

Posted by Bruce Ide <fl...@gmail.com>.
I was under the impression that this problem had been resolved in 2.4.
Doesn't the 2.4 include controller remove the thread group in your included
test, so you can save it like a normal test?

It's still kind of a pain to use:

 1) You can't use variables in your include controller, so all included
tests must reside at a fixed location (This can be specified as a jmeter
property.)

 2) When you modify an included test while you have a test that includes it
open, you must save both the modified test and your test that includes it
before the change is registered (Saving the test re-reads the nodes or
something.)

 3) Including tests with variables defined opens a whole new can of worms on
an already wormy process. Variable management is on my top-5 list of jmeter
headaches.

Back-porting to 2.3.4 wouldn't be too hard if that's what you're using. I
think only a class or interface name changes.

--
Bruce Ide
FlyingRhenquest@gmail.com

Re: Include Contoller and Simple Controller

Posted by Deepak Shetty <sh...@gmail.com>.
hi
I believe it is - you can probably raise an enhancement request for this to
be more intutive I guess.
The workbench is not recommended because saving the test plan doesnt save
anything under the workbench. you have to remember to right click and save
your changes if I remember correctly.

regards
deepak

Posted by Janine DeBeradinis <jd...@higherone.com>.