Posted to soap-user@ws.apache.org by Philippe <ph...@freesbee.fr> on 2001/01/02 17:05:56 UTC

RE: Caching with Tomcat

The jvm running in tomcat doesn't use dynamic reloading
of classes (ie it loads a class the first time this class
is invoked), so as long as you don't restart the complete
tomcat server, you wont see the change in classes that occured
after loading. I read somewhere that there is a way to enable
dynamic reloading of classes, but I don't remeber where.

Philippe.

Posted by colin adam <co...@webservices.org>.
To get tomcat to reload classes dynamically please read the following..

"Tomcat 3.2 includes a feature whereby you can ask it to automatically
reload servlet classes (loaded from either the WEB-INF/classes directory
or a JAR file in the WEB-INF/lib directory) that have been changed.  This
feature is experimental, and may not be completely functional.  In particular,
changes to classes other than the servlet you are requesting do not trigger
class reloads -- you will need to restart Tomcat to reflect changes in those
classes.

Reloading is enabled by including a reloadable="true" attribute on the
<Context> element in the "conf/server.xml" file.  Note that automatic
reload support is not recommended for production applications because of
its experimental nature, and the extra overhead required to perform the
necessary checks on every request."

regards
colin
www.webservices.org