Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Jaroslav Tulach <ja...@oracle.com> on 2017/10/08 11:41:29 UTC

[VOTE] Release Apache NetBeans HTML/Java API version 1.5

Hi guys,
I've set a Jenkins job up which can prepare a release bits of HTML/Java API
and gives instructions how to build the ZIP file and test it:

https://builds.apache.org/view/Incubator%20Projects/job/incubator-netbeans-html4j-release/

after a bit of configuration struggling the [build #16](https://
builds.apache.org/view/Incubator%20Projects/job/incubator-netbeans-html4j-
release/16/) seems to deliver releasable ZIP file:

https://builds.apache.org/view/Incubator%20Projects/job/incubator-netbeans-html4j-release/16/artifact/incubating-netbeans-html4j-1.5.zip

It's md5sum is a45bda33200c208d0d837b0746a7dcce.

I've done the basic testing on Linux, as well as I tried to use the version
1.5 in Bck2Brwsr VM (works fine) and TeaVM which needed a [bit of patching]
(https://github.com/konsoletyper/teavm/pull/304). In any case the HTML/Java
API seems releasable from my point of view.

This is the first attempt to perform Apache release of NetBeans HTML/Java API.
As such there are almost no new features. Mostly just licensing changes,
bugfixes and other little tweaks. See Javadoc section about post 1.4 release
improvements:

https://builds.apache.org/job/incubator-netbeans-html4j-linux/javadoc/

Please take the ZIP file for a spin and vote to approve the release
and to request the approval of the Incubator PMC to publish it on
our site.

Everyone is encouraged to vote, including non-committers.

This vote shall close in the usual 72 hours.
-jt

PS: I am keeping my fingers crossed, hoping things go well.

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache NetBeans HTML/Java API version 1.5

Posted by John Yeary <jo...@gmail.com>.
+1

____________________________

John Yeary
____________________________
*NetBeans Dream Team*

*Founder Greenville Java Users GroupJava Users Groups Community Leader*
____________________________

<http://javaevangelist.blogspot.com/>  <https://twitter.com/jyeary>
<http://www.youtube.com/johnyeary>  <http://www.linkedin.com/in/jyeary>
<https://plus.google.com/112146428878473069965>
<http://www.facebook.com/jyeary>
<http://feeds.feedburner.com/JavaEvangelistJohnYearysBlog>
<http://netbeans.org/people/84414-jyeary>

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even
though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who
neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight
that knows not victory nor defeat."
-- Theodore Roosevelt

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Sun, Oct 8, 2017 at 1:41 PM, Jaroslav Tulach
<ja...@oracle.com> wrote:
> ...It's md5sum is a45bda33200c208d0d837b0746a7dcce. ...

While md5 is still commonly used, it is broken today [1] so we should
generally move away from it.

-Bertrand

[1] https://natmchugh.blogspot.ch/2014/10/how-i-created-two-images-with-same-md5.html

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache NetBeans HTML/Java API version 1.5

Posted by Jaroslav Tulach <ja...@oracle.com>.
Thanks for testing this Geertjan,
can you please report a bug (component platform - HTML4J) and add stacktrace
of your stalled build in there?

Thanks.
-jt

PS: Why I cannot assign JIRA bugs (like NETBEANS-83) to myself?

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.
Tried again and the build succeeds.

When the problem occurs with the test, it seems like the build hangs, but
when I click the terminal window the build continues, takes quite a long
time, and after lots of things happening the build completes.

Gj

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Oct 10, 2017 at 11:13 AM, Geertjan Wielenga
<ge...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> ...maybe all that
> needs to be done is updating license headers to Apache and then everything
> else, including dealing with GPL binaries, can be done in subsequent
> releases....

If it's GPL dependencies which are not optional I think that's a problem.

But maybe there are modules that can be released independently and
don't have this problem, in which case the podling can start refining
its release process.

-Bertrand

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache NetBeans HTML/Java API version 1.5

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.
Yes, one thing a lot of us are assuming is that everything must be perfect
for it to be released.

In Apache, that's not the case, but then the question becomes what the
minimum requirement of the first release should be -- i.e., maybe all that

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Posted by Jaroslav Tulach <ja...@oracle.com>.
On úterý 10. října 2017 9:46:18 CEST Anton Epple wrote:
> I’ll have to change my vote. The new implementation of JSON.java makes use
> of ClassValue:
> https://docs.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/api/java/lang/ClassValue.html
>
> Classvalue is not available on Android (or iOS). This prevents porting of
> HTML/Java 1.5 to Android (and iOS). Please consider to roll back the
> ClassValue based solution.

Thanks for the feed back. Reported as

[RESULT]: [VOTE] Release Apache NetBeans HTML/Java API version 1.5

Posted by Jaroslav Tulach <ja...@gmail.com>.
>> Anton Epple <to...@eppleton.de>: 10.10.17 @ 9:46 <<
> -1
> I’ll have to change my vote. The new implementation of JSON.java makes use
> of ClassValue:
> https://docs.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/api/java/lang/ClassValue.html
>
> Classvalue is not available on Android (or iOS). This prevents porting of
> HTML/Java 1.5 to Android (and iOS). Please consider to roll back the
> ClassValue based solution.

Thanks for your testing and votes. Bug NETBEANS-83 and missing MD5, SHA1 and
ASC signatures are the biggest reason why I have to cancel the attempt to call
build #16

https://builds.apache.org/view/Incubator%20Projects/job/incubator-netbeans-html4j-release/16/

a release. I have got a fix for NETBEANS-83 and I am working on new release
with essential checksum files.

Result: rejected.
-jt

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache NetBeans HTML/Java API version 1.5

Posted by Jaroslav Tulach <ja...@oracle.com>.
On úterý 10. října 2017 11:12:48 CEST Emilian Bold wrote:
> Since when is a NetBeans library, part of the NetBeans Platform, supposed
> to provide iOS and Android compatibility?

Since one of the implementation of the Fn.Presenter works on Android and
another on iOS. In addition to that there are also transpilers and the library
has to be compatible with them as well.

> Actually, why is this even part of the NetBeans Platform?

It is part of the platform to allow creation of applications that run and
display everywhere. History of the library is sketched at
http://wiki.netbeans.org/Html4Java and it includes also the outcome of reviews
that have been performed before HTML/Java API became part of the NetBeans
Platform.

-jt

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache NetBeans HTML/Java API version 1.5

Posted by Emilian Bold <em...@gmail.com>.
Since when is a NetBeans library, part of the NetBeans Platform, supposed
to provide iOS and Android compatibility?

Actually, why is this even part of the NetBeans Platform?

--emi

Posted by Anton Epple <to...@eppleton.de>.
-1

Posted by Anton Epple <to...@eppleton.de>.
Hello Jaroslav,

Posted by Jaroslav Tulach <ja...@oracle.com>.
Hello William.

Posted by William Beebe <wb...@gmail.com>.

Re: Maven staging repository was: Release Apache NetBeans HTML/Java API version 1.5

Posted by Jaroslav Tulach <ja...@oracle.com>.
Here is the change that would have to be applied to incubator-netbeans
repository to use these new bits:

github.com/JaroslavTulach/incubator-netbeans/commit/
f505f617facb4bbb20bc25f5fea093134f301a94

I have verified that

$ ant -f api.htmlui test

passes OK, so at least a basic sanity check looks fine.
-jt

Posted by Jaroslav Tulach <ja...@gmail.com>.

https://maven.java.net/content/repositories/orgapidesign-1064/

Re: [MENTORS] Information abot Voting process (was: Re: [VOTE] Release Apache NetBeans HTML/Java API version 1.5)

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi,

On Sun, Oct 8, 2017 at 8:59 PM, Matthias Bläsing
<mb...@doppel-helix.eu> wrote:
> ... * What are the requirements for a positive vote?...

The Apache voting process is described at
https://www.apache.org/foundation/voting.html

The goal is to *build consensus*, not necessarily vote on every
decision. Votes are generally used for "important" things like
releases where we need a documented trace of the consensus, but the
are other ways to build consensus.

>  * Is really everyone elligible to vote? I think I read somewhere, that
>    only the PPMC members are.

From formal point of view it's Apache PMCs
(https://www.apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html) which make
decisions that represent the ASF.

So in a release vote for example, or to elect someone to a new ASF
role, it's only the votes of the PMC members which are "binding", i.e.
which formally count.

However, all community members are welcome to vote, and if their
opinion significantly differs form the PMC's it *should* be taken into
account, or at least the PMC should note the disagreement and do their
best to act on it. But the final decision rests with the PMC.

As a podling, NetBeans is managed by the Incubator PMC so technically
it's only votes from Incubator PMC members which count. But given that
a podling is a PMC in training, during an important vote (like a
release) the podling considers the PPMC member's votes as binding, and
then acts the Incubator PMC to ratify the decision.

Hope this helps clarify things!

-Bertrand

[MENTORS] Information abot Voting process (was: Re: [VOTE] Release Apache NetBeans HTML/Java API version 1.5)

Posted by Matthias Bläsing <mb...@doppel-helix.eu>.
Hey,

I have a few questions:

 * What are the requirements for a positive vote?
 * Is really everyone elligible to vote? I think I read somewhere, that
   only the PPMC members are.

Thank you

Matthias

Posted by Ryan Cuprak <rc...@gmail.com>.
+1

Re: Release, not graduation and md5 was: [VOTE] Release Apache NetBeans HTML/Java API version 1.5

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Mon, Oct 9, 2017 at 5:36 AM, John D. Ament <jo...@apache.org> wrote:
> ...I can't follow any of those links.  The fact that they come
> through across multiple lines just makes the email harder to follow...

Yes, those urldefense links are not usable on a public list.

It looks like John has provided the required answers, if not please ask.

-Bertrand

Re: Release, not graduation and md5 was: [VOTE] Release Apache NetBeans HTML/Java API version 1.5

Posted by Jaroslav Tulach <ja...@gmail.com>.
Hi John,
I tried to tackle this as best as I could:
https://builds.apache.org/view/Incubator%20Projects/job/incubator-netbeans-html4j-release/19/
-jt

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.

https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/ - someone will need to
create a netbeans directory here (one of your mentors).  Once the release
is approved by the IPMC it gets svn mv'd to
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/incubator/ .

Here's another example of the files expected:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/incubator/ariatosca/0.1.1-incubating/source/

Posted by Jaroslav Tulach <ja...@oracle.com>.

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.
Great, thanks for this feedback, gives us a direction and work to do.

Gj

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Mon, Oct 9, 2017 at 3:34 AM, John D. Ament <jo...@apache.org> wrote:
> ...You may want to review the content under http://www.apache.org/dev/#releases as well...

http://www.apache.org/dev/release-publishing.html in particular has
good information about how to prepare the release.

I also often mention
http://sling.apache.org/documentation/development/release-management.html
as a practical example of how a well established Apache top-level
project does releases, including templates for vote messages.

-Bertrand

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache NetBeans HTML/Java API version 1.5

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.
I'm not a member of the Netbeans community, but as an IPMC member I would be -1.

As mentioned on the pages I linked, you're missing quite a few things that are expected of podling votes.

- The podling release should be staged on /dist/dev
- The podling release must be accompanied by sha, asc, md5 files.  We generally don't do automated builds as podling releases.  They are typically accompanied by git tags and git commit sha's.

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.
Geertjan,

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.