Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Rainer Jung <ra...@kippdata.de> on 2010/01/04 18:01:13 UTC

[tcnative] slight apr and openssl version confusion

What is the use of the file

    native/srclib/VERSIONS

in tcnative?

Ib the 1.1.x branch it contains the info:

Use the following version of the libraries

- APR 1.2.8, http://apr.apache.org
- OpenSSL 0.9.8e, http://www.openssl.org

But the build system checks for APR 1.2.1 and OpenSSL >= 0.9.7f in
native/buildconf and native/build/tcnative.m4.

Regards,

Rainer

Re: [tcnative] slight apr and openssl version confusion

Posted by Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org>.
On 01/05/2010 10:59 AM, Rainer Jung wrote:
> On 05.01.2010 10:04, Mladen Turk wrote:
>> On 01/05/2010 09:11 AM, jean-frederic clere wrote:
>>> I think the file native/srclib/VERSIONS should be created by configure
>>> and doesn't need to be in repository.
>>>

>> This file is more like a README. It says which version is
>> recommended/required for the builds.
>
> Hmmm, recommended yes, but not required. The checks during the build
> test against other (lower) versions.
>
> Are we really maintaining that recommendation?

Yes.
It's very important cause some APR errors reflect tcnative, like
Solaris port patches for 1.3.8 and 1.3.9.

Regards
--
^TM

Re: [tcnative] slight apr and openssl version confusion

Posted by Rainer Jung <ra...@kippdata.de>.

Posted by Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org>.

Posted by jean-frederic clere <jf...@gmail.com>.
On 01/04/2010 06:01 PM, Rainer Jung wrote:
> What is the use of the file
>
>    native/srclib/VERSIONS
>
> in tcnative?
>
> Ib the 1.1.x branch it contains the info:

> Use the following version of the libraries
>
> - APR 1.2.8, http://apr.apache.org
> - OpenSSL 0.9.8e, http://www.openssl.org
>
> But the build system checks for APR 1.2.1 and OpenSSL >= 0.9.7f in
> native/buildconf and native/build/tcnative.m4.

Additionally the buildconf defaults to apr-1.2.7 located in srclib.
What happens is that buildconf copies files from apr the idea was to
have that information in native/srclib/VERSIONS.
I think the file native/srclib/VERSIONS should be created by configure
and doesn't need to be in repository.

Cheers

Jean-Frederic