Posted to users@flex.apache.org by shaack <sh...@gmail.com> on 2014/12/15 23:29:25 UTC

Flex Client-Server Messaging Howto, BlazeDS, GraniteDS, Websockets

What we just need for our project is a stable and easy to use messaging
system for Flex clients. Being in the beginning of the project the decision
should be also future oriented, which means it should be a technology which
will be supported also in a few years, and it would be great if it could
base on a standard technology which could also be used from native clients
on iOS or Android.

In my research I found the two main more or less proprietary server
libraries, GraniteDS and BlazeDS.

# BlazeDS

There seems to be no current release version of BlazeDS, no public version
in maven repositories of BlazeDS 4 and I found information about a memory
leak existing till 4 years:
http://in-finite.me/fixing-blazeds-polling-amf-memory-leak/. This makes me
wonder, if it is just pushed to Apache to have there its occupational
pension.

# GraniteDS

GraniteDS seems to be in active development and it supports websockets,
which is great. But for our needs it seems to be taking a sledgehammer to
crack a nut, because we just need some messaging. In addition GraniteDS
seems to support Flex, native Android but not iOS.

# What else

For me the best solution would be a small standard solution which works on
all client technologies, like just websockets with STOMP and JSON or AMF. I
found an extraction of the GraniteDS Websocket Client
https://github.com/graniteds/flex-websocket-client, but without
documentation, no samples, no protocol on top of websockets. A STOMP client
"as3-stomp" https://code.google.com/p/as3-stomp/, last release from June
2008.

# And now?

We got stuck, don't know which way to go. Does anyone here have some
experience in using websocket messaging in Flex? It would be great, if you
could help us in finding a decision.

AW: Flex Client-Server Messaging Howto, BlazeDS, GraniteDS, Websockets

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.
Depending on the amount of Release Candidates we need I think it should be pretty soon. I wanted to initiate the RC, but thought that we'd better get Flex 4.14 out the door and I didn't want to strain people with another Release Candidate ... but if all goes well, I would expect the first Apache release within a month or so ... you can already use the SNAPSHOTS ... we already publish nightly snapshots of BlazeDS, if you want to start using it right away.
http://repository.apache.org/content/groups/snapshots/org/apache/flex/blazeds/

Chris

OK, there will be a release of BlazeDS in the future. But my question is more like what is the best way of doing client-server messaging with Flex?

The only sense to use libraries like Blaze or Granite would be, if there would be no standard messaging support in Flex. Standard, for me means to use Spring 4 Websockets, STOMP and JSON or AMF. Or, is BlazeDS THE standard of messaging or GraniteDS? I used socket.io with javascript and it worked, was easy to use. What is the socket.io of Flex?

Re: Flex Client-Server Messaging Howto, BlazeDS, GraniteDS, Websockets

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 12/16/14, 5:08 AM, "shaack" <sh...@gmail.com> wrote:

>OK, there will be a release of BlazeDS in the future. But my question is
>more
>like what is the best way of doing client-server messaging with Flex?
>
>The only sense to use libraries like Blaze or Granite would be, if there
>would be no standard messaging support in Flex. Standard, for me means to
>use Spring 4 Websockets, STOMP and JSON or AMF. Or, is BlazeDS THE
>standard
>of messaging or GraniteDS? I used socket.io with javascript and it worked,
>was easy to use. What is the socket.io of Flex?

This is not my area of expertise at all.  I haven’t used socket.io to
truly know what it can do.  Here’s my take:

1) The Flex SDK comes with HTTPService and RemoteObject classes for
getting data from the server.  HTTPService is commonly used to get JSON,
and RemoteObject is used for AMF.

2) BlazeDS builds on top of that.  Not everybody needs it.

3) Socket.io appears to use server-side javascript.  There are some
server-side ActionScript libraries out there.  I have no idea how good
they are.  I believe BlazeDS was built for enterprises with Java running
on the server.

HTH,
-Alex

Re: Flex Client-Server Messaging Howto, BlazeDS, GraniteDS, Websockets

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 12/15/14, 2:29 PM, "shaack" <sh...@gmail.com> wrote:

>What we just need for our project is a stable and easy to use messaging
>system for Flex clients. Being in the beginning of the project the
>decision
>should be also future oriented, which means it should be a technology
>which
>will be supported also in a few years, and it would be great if it could
>base on a standard technology which could also be used from native clients
>on iOS or Android.
>
>In my research I found the two main more or less proprietary server
>libraries, GraniteDS and BlazeDS.
>
># BlazeDS
>
>There seems to be no current release version of BlazeDS, no public version
>in maven repositories of BlazeDS 4 and I found information about a memory
>leak existing till 4 years:
>http://in-finite.me/fixing-blazeds-polling-amf-memory-leak/. This makes me
>wonder, if it is just pushed to Apache to have there its occupational
>pension.

Adobe donated BlazeDS so it can be supported indefinitely if there is a
community willing to do so.  On the dev@flex.apache.org mailing list there
is a discussion going on right now about making the first Apache Flex
BlazeDS release.  And if that bug does exist in the Apache Flex code base,
anyone in the community is welcome to provide a patch for it.

-Alex