Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Don Ireland <sp...@donireland.com> on 2007/03/03 22:33:46 UTC

Sorting SA Discussion List Messages

Every email list I've ever subscribed to has had something in the
subject line (usually in square brackets) to identify 1) that it is a
mailing list and 2) what list it is.

Why doesn't this list have something similar?  This list could have [SA
User] in the subject and the Developer's list could use [SA Dev].  I'm
getting messages in my inbox with no subject which I'm tempted to delete
(because they're from people that  I don't know and have no subject to
indicate that it's part of this list) and then there are other messages
that do have subjects.   But some of those have subjects that I can't
tell if they relate to this list either because they use terminology I
don't recognize because I'm too new to this list and don't know SA well
enough.

PLUS--I could have my server filter messages that have [SA User] in the
subject into a seperate folder.  Just a thought.  :)

Thanks.

Re: Sorting SA Discussion List Messages

Posted by mouss <mo...@netoyen.net>.
Evan Platt wrote:
> At 11:44 AM 3/4/2007, mouss wrote:
>
>> somewhat related: I sometimes receive mail with a spam tag in the
>> subject, a tag added by the sender MTA !!! fortunately, I don't use
>> subject tagging, otherwise...
>>
>> which explains why I do not favour subject modification by any piece
>> of software (including SA)...
>
> It's a catch 22.
>
> Spamassassin modifies the subject (because - well, technically, that's
> what I tell it to do - or rather it does it by default), and by either
> 'design' (ie "that's how I want it), or by mistake (ie "crap, I don't
> know how to configure my MTA), SpamAssassin scans and marks outgoing
> mail.

or
    sender MTA is hosted outside and no authentication is used, so all
his mail is "incoming"...
or
    the recipient replies to an "incoming" message that is tagged
(incorrectly, but heh...), without "fixing" the subject.

now, since I don't tag subject, I don't care. but if I was tagging the
subject and filtering based on that...

Re: Sorting SA Discussion List Messages

Posted by Evan Platt <ev...@espphotography.com>.

Posted by mouss <mo...@netoyen.net>.

Posted by "Daryl C. W. O'Shea" <sp...@dostech.ca>.
Bart Schaefer wrote:
> On 3/3/07, Don Ireland <sp...@donireland.com> wrote:
>> Every email list I've ever subscribed to has had something in the
>> subject line (usually in square brackets) to identify 1) that it is a
>> mailing list and 2) what list it is.
>>
>> Why doesn't this list have something similar?
>
> Because it's a really annoying thing to do and interacts badly with
> both threading algorithms and with other automated header rewriting
> that's done by mail readers?
>
> I'm on a couple of lists where this kind of tagging is done and there
> are always threads where the subject has become
>
> Re: [List Name] Re: [List Name] Re: [List Name] Silly subject rewrites
> ad infinitum
>
> Just Say No to unnecessary administrative mangling of messages that
> pass through list exploders.

Yeah, that's quite annoying and the prime reason why I hate list subject
tags.

Having the list software modify the subject also breaks any
cryptographic signatures like DKIM too.  Although that's probably not
important to a lot of people, at least until someone else tries to
impersonate you... :)

Daryl

Re: Sorting SA Discussion List Messages

Posted by Bart Schaefer <ba...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@verizon.net>.
Don Ireland wrote:
> Every email list I've ever subscribed to has had something in the
> subject line (usually in square brackets) to identify 1) that it is a
> mailing list and 2) what list it is.
>
> Why doesn't this list have something similar?

It does. It's got a List-Id header.

Re: Sorting SA Discussion List Messages

Posted by Don Ireland <sp...@donireland.com>.
OK sorry.  Didn't realize it was such a sore spot.  :)

<<You must not subscribe to very many technical mailing lists. Most of
the mailing lists that I subscribe to preserve the precious small amount
of visible subject line space>>
I've been a part of a few--although not computer related (prefer
forums).  I wasn't looking for more than a few chars.  One list adds
three chars+the two bracket chars.

I'll filter it at the server level based on the list-id.  I just knew
that I'm getting all these messages in my inbox for this list and I'd
like to get them into their own folder for easier mgmt and reading.

Thanks all!

Posted by Bob Proulx <bo...@proulx.com>.

Posted by Graham Murray <gr...@gmurray.org.uk>.
Graham Murray <gr...@gmurray.org.uk> writes:

> Or even filter on the List-ID: or other RFC2191 headers.

Ooops RFC 2919

Re: Sorting SA Discussion List Messages

Posted by Graham Murray <gr...@gmurray.org.uk>.

Posted by "Daryl C. W. O'Shea" <sp...@dostech.ca>.
Brian Wilson wrote:

> On Mar 3, 2007, at 4:41 PM, Mário Gamito wrote:
>
>> Don Ireland wrote:
>>> Every email list I've ever subscribed to has had something in the
>>> subject line (usually in square brackets) to identify 1) that it is a
>>> mailing list and 2) what list it is.
>> Maybe, just maybe, you can filter through e-mail adresseses instead of
>> subjects.
>>
>> -- Mário Gamito
>
> This works until someone's reply to your posting is sent directly to you
> instead of to the mailing list.  In order for the reply to be threaded
> properly with other messages in the thread, it needs to be put into the
> same folder.

That defeats the whole purpose of replying directly -- so that the
person you reply directly to is sure to see it.  If it's moved into the
folder with all the other list messages (and the duplicate copy sent to
the list... so now you'd have two copies of the same message threaded
for you) there's a pretty good chance that it'll go un-noticed.

I know that, I for one, am less likely to follow up on a thread seeking
my help if I'm not copied on it.  I wouldn't be surprised that others
also don't have the time to read thousands of list messages a day to
keep up with the threads they're involved with (or even just remember
all the threads that they're involved with so they can just read those
threads).

The above reasoning is why I sometimes copy the people involved in the
thread and sometimes just send directly to the list.  If I think they,
or I, would benefit from seeing the message then they get a copy.  If
they never send copies to others I usually don't send them a copy.  If
I'm really busy or lazy everyone gets a copy since it's faster for me.

>  An easy way to direct it to a folder is basing your rules
> off some characteristic that message  it originally had (i.e. the
> subject).  I tend to agree that it would be nice if the mailing list had
> a subject prefix like most other mailing lists.  If not to sort mail, at
> least to be able to categorize it mentally should you not classify your
> mail into folders.

Well, the PMC (i) doesn't have control over the mailing list software to
do it, and (ii) doesn't want to do it anyway.  So it's not likely going
to change.

If you really want to see subject line tags get your MDA to add them
locally when it sees a List-Id header and then just delete the duplicate
copies (sent to you directly) manually if they are confusing you.

Daryl

Re: Sorting SA Discussion List Messages

Posted by Brian Wilson <wi...@bubba.org>.
On Mar 3, 2007, at 4:41 PM, Mário Gamito wrote:

> Don Ireland wrote:
>> Every email list I've ever subscribed to has had something in the
>> subject line (usually in square brackets) to identify 1) that it
>> is a mailing list and 2) what list it is.
> Maybe, just maybe, you can filter through e-mail adresseses instead
> of subjects.
>
> -- Mário Gamito

This works until someone's reply to your posting is sent directly to
you instead of to the mailing list.  In order for the reply to be
threaded properly with other messages in the thread, it needs to be
put into the same folder.  An easy way to direct it to a folder is
basing your rules off some characteristic that message  it originally
had (i.e. the subject).  I tend to agree that it would be nice if the
mailing list had a subject prefix like most other mailing lists.  If
not to sort mail, at least to be able to categorize it mentally
should you not classify your mail into folders.

-B

Re: Sorting SA Discussion List Messages

Posted by "Daryl C. W. O'Shea" <sp...@dostech.ca>.
Doc Schneider wrote:
> Mário Gamito wrote:
>> Don Ireland wrote:
>>> Every email list I've ever subscribed to has had something in the
>>> subject line (usually in square brackets) to identify 1) that it is a
>>> mailing list and 2) what list it is.
>> Maybe, just maybe, you can filter through e-mail adresseses instead of
>> subjects.
>>
>> -- Mário Gamito
>
> That's how I sort mine by the To: and CC: lines Thunderbird has a To or
> CC option to sort them with. I know most clients also can do this. It
> only doesn't work when people insist on BCC's the list. But then looking
> at the source of it I see where it is supposed to be filtered to. 8*))

Or you'all could just filter on the List-Id header and be done with it. :)

Re: Sorting SA Discussion List Messages

Posted by Doc Schneider <ma...@maddoc.net>.

--

  -Doc

  Penguins: Do it on the ice.
    8:44am  up 4 days, 16:55, 17 users,  load average: 0.18, 0.30, 0.37

  SARE HQ  http://www.rulesemporium.com/

Re: Sorting SA Discussion List Messages

Posted by Mário Gamito <ga...@gmail.com>.