Posted to dev@avro.apache.org by Doug Cutting <cu...@gmail.com> on 2018/05/03 21:18:32 UTC

Re: Giving credit for contributions through Github Pull Requests

Maybe we should loosen the permissions on Avro's Jira so that any user can
assign an issue?  That would make things a bit simpler.  I doubt we'd see
much if any abuse.

Also, it's probably time to remove CHANGES.txt and just use Jira to
generate release notes.  Agreed?

Doug

Posted by Sean Busbey <bu...@cloudera.com>.
On Thu, May 3, 2018 at 4:18 PM, Doug Cutting <cu...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Maybe we should loosen the permissions on Avro's Jira so that any user can
> assign an issue?  That would make things a bit simpler.  I doubt we'd see
> much if any abuse.

locking down issue assigning happened ASF jira wide due to spammer abuse.
we could probably due with better documenting how folks gain the ability to
assign themselves issues.

I presume it's "email dev@avro and ask for the ability". At the very least
I've been granting it to anyone who asks.

> Also, it's probably time to remove CHANGES.txt and just use Jira to
> generate release notes.  Agreed?

Yeah that'd be great.  The Apache Yetus project makes a tool called Release
Doc Maker that will generate markdown for us.

http://yetus.apache.org/documentation/0.7.0/releasedocmaker/

It's  been working for the Hadoop project for ages. HBase has started
moving to it and it's gone well.

--
busbey

Re: Giving credit for contributions through Github Pull Requests

Posted by Gabor Szadovszky <ga...@apache.org>.
+1 for both

Posted by Nandor Kollar <nk...@cloudera.com>.