Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Mohammed <ml...@csc.com> on 2009/04/01 00:00:50 UTC

Question and Suggestion

support,

I want to know the following. I am moving SVN to the new server since it's
taking a while to copy the Data i want to know what other alternatives i
can take to copy SVN to a new location and once it will be moved what
should i do to make it in synch with the current repository.

1. Once SVN will be migrated to the new server and if i want to
synchronize the current SVN to the new server (because we will be doing a
test first and it will go live later this year) what should i do to
synchronize SVN from the current repository and to the new repository.
Remember i can't copy ever single time because it will copy the entire SVN
and it will take for ever to copy the DATA.  So i want only incremental
migration for SVN repository

Thanks

Mohammed Lodi
Software Configuration Management
CSC

2000 E. El Segundo Blvd
El Segundo, CA 90245
Room Location: J2345J
Mail: E0/E04/P191
Global Outsourcing Services | Office: 310.616.8245 | mlodi@csc.com |
www.csc.com

delivery.
purpose.

Re: Question and Suggestion

Posted by Edmund Wong <ed...@kdtc.net>.
Jan Hendrik wrote:

> I would rather suggest having a look at svnsync.  I have not used it
> personally, but it should keep a mirror of the master/original

This is a better idea.

Edmund

Re: Question and Suggestion

Posted by Les Mikesell <le...@gmail.com>.
Jan Hendrik wrote:

>>> I want to know the following. I am moving SVN to the new server
>>> since it's taking a while to copy the Data i want to know what other
>>> alternatives i can take to copy SVN to a new location and once it
>>> will be moved what should i do to make it in synch with the current
>>> repository.
>> Have you taken a look at svk?  (at svk.bestpractical.com).  I think
>> that's what you're looking for; but then again, what you're doing is a
>> short-term whereas the svk setup seems more long term with multiple
>> machines.
>
> I would rather suggest having a look at svnsync.  I have not used it
> personally, but it should keep a mirror of the master/original
> repository in sync in the first place, and AFAICT it is possible to
> convert this read-only mirror later into a full-blown master
> repository.  For transfer to a new machine this sounds nice to me
> with little to no downtime (users would have to relocate working
> copies to the new location however) though obvioulsy the mirror
> cannot be tested fully.

There is also pushmi (http://search.cpan.org/dist/Pushmi/lib/Pushmi.pm)
which seems similar to svk but usable with standard subversion clients.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell@gmail.com

Re: Question and Suggestion

Posted by Jan Hendrik <li...@gmail.com>.
Concerning Re: Question and Suggestion
Edmund Wong wrote on 1 Apr 2009, 17:04, at least in part:

> Mohammed wrote:
> > support,
> >
> > I want to know the following. I am moving SVN to the new server
> > since it's taking a while to copy the Data i want to know what other
> > alternatives i can take to copy SVN to a new location and once it
> > will be moved what should i do to make it in synch with the current
> > repository.
>
> Have you taken a look at svk?  (at svk.bestpractical.com).  I think
> that's what you're looking for; but then again, what you're doing is a
> short-term whereas the svk setup seems more long term with multiple
> machines.

I would rather suggest having a look at svnsync.  I have not used it
personally, but it should keep a mirror of the master/original
repository in sync in the first place, and AFAICT it is possible to
convert this read-only mirror later into a full-blown master
repository.  For transfer to a new machine this sounds nice to me
with little to no downtime (users would have to relocate working
copies to the new location however) though obvioulsy the mirror
cannot be tested fully.

> > This is a PRIVATE message. If you are not the intended recipient,
> > please delete without copying and kindly advise us by e-mail of the
> > mistake in delivery. NOTE: Regardless of content, this e-mail shall
> > not operate to bind CSC to any order or other contract unless
> > pursuant to explicit written agreement or government initiative
> > expressly permitting the use of e-mail for such purpose.
>
> Funny that this is a private message.  :)

Yeah, please don't tell ma that I replied to it on a public list! <G>

JH

> Edmund

Freedom quote:

     Do what you feel in your heart to be right -
     for you'll be criticized anyway.
     You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't.
               -- Eleanor Roosevelt

Re: Question and Suggestion

Posted by Edmund Wong <ed...@kdtc.net>.