Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Dimitrios Christodoulakis <di...@gmail.com> on 2009/06/27 23:15:13 UTC

error compiling jsvc to run tomcat as a service on Linux

As I continue the effort to make Tomcat the default web server daemon
over Apache 2, I am trying to use jsvc. I unpacked it successfully and
followed the instructions at
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/setup.html

steps:
tar xvfz jsvc.tar.gz
    cd jsvc-src
    autoconf

But the final configure step aborted due to a javac error:
Godaddy provides Sun's jdk1.5.0_17. Other posts encountered the same
issue due to a jdk by another vendor and solved their issue by
switching to sun's jdk which I already have.

Could this be some kind of version incompatibility between tomcat 5.5
and jdk1.5.0_17? Any thoughts or advice, are much appreciated

./configure --with-java=/usr/java/jdk1.5.0_17
*** Current host ***
checking cached host system type... ok
*** C-Language compilation tools ***
checking for gcc... gcc
checking for suffix of executables...
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking for ranlib... ranlib
*** Host support ***
checking C flags dependant on host system type... ok
*** Java compilation tools ***
checking JAVA_HOME... /usr/java/jdk1.5.0_17
checking for javac... /usr/java/jdk1.5.0_17/bin/javac
checking wether the Java compiler (/usr/java/jdk1.5.0_17/bin/javac) works... no
configure: error: installation or configuration problem: javac cannot compile

Re: error compiling jsvc to run tomcat as a service on Linux

Posted by Hassan Schroeder <ha...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, Jun 27, 2009 at 2:15 PM, Dimitrios
Christodoulakis<di...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Could this be some kind of version incompatibility between tomcat 5.5
> and jdk1.5.0_17?

Seems unlikely...

> checking for javac... /usr/java/jdk1.5.0_17/bin/javac
> checking wether the Java compiler (/usr/java/jdk1.5.0_17/bin/javac) works... no
> configure: error: installation or configuration problem: javac cannot compile

So, just to be sure that message is truly bs -- did you try to compile
some trivial helloworld.java file using that javac?