Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Barrie Robinson <ba...@emotus.com> on 2002/07/17 14:10:25 UTC

Perl & Apache

Trying to install an app that has a HTML front end for configuration, it
utilises Perl. As far as I am aware Perl is installed at it should be and
running fine, this is as I am assured that Perl comes as standard in OSX and
the .so modules aren't producing any errors when I start Apache. However, I
am new to this so it may be that somebody could point me in the right
direction. From what I can see the Perl that the front end refers to is
outside the main CGI directory, within the same directory as the HTML docs.
I'm thinking that I may have to configure Apache to enable this. The
directory is accessed by a Virtual Host too. So I need to do 2 things:

1) Enable Perl usage within a Virtual host configuration.
2) Ensure that Perl works outside the cgi-bin.

... which in-turn should allow me to configure the software, hopefully.

Could anybody help?

Thanks.

Re: CGI & Apache

Posted by Mark Mentovai <ma...@mentovai.com>.
Barrie Robinson wrote:
> I think I've got it wrong, what's actually happening is it's accessing a cgi
> script within the directory. I can work around this by enabling cgi access
> outside the cgi bin. However when I do this I get a permissions error such
> as:
>
> Forbidden
> You don't have permission to access /cgi-bin/test.cgi on this server.
>
> ...which I got when I ran the test cgi via the same virtual host.
>
> I'm guessing is something to do with the user and group I'm running httpd
> as?

Your error log should have more information.  Check it for details.

This snippet, in the absence of other forms of access control, will treat any
file ending in ".cgi" as a CGI.

  AddHandler cgi-script .cgi
  <Files ~ "\.cgi$">
    Options +ExecCGI
    <IfModule mod_ssl.c>
      SSLOptions +StdEnvVars
    </IfModule>
  </Files>

Stick something like that at the top level of your configuration file, if
appropriate.  Take a look at your error log if you still have trouble.

Mark

CGI & Apache

Posted by Barrie Robinson <ba...@emotus.com>.
I think I've got it wrong, what's actually happening is it's accessing a cgi
script within the directory. I can work around this by enabling cgi access
outside the cgi bin. However when I do this I get a permissions error such
as:

Forbidden
You don't have permission to access /cgi-bin/test.cgi on this server.

...which I got when I ran the test cgi via the same virtual host.

I'm guessing is something to do with the user and group I'm running httpd
as?

Could somebody explain and perhaps give me the solution for this?

Very much appreciated,

Barrie