Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Eriksen, Kjell" <Kj...@Kenexa.com> on 2003/06/26 01:23:56 UTC

Tomcat / IIS / Alternate Ports

I send this to the wrong address before - I apologize.

BACKGROUND:

We host multiple web apps using IIS + Tomcat.  We currently create separate
instances of Tomcat Services on Windows 2000. We use Virtual Directories in
IIS and configure the JK2 / AJP13 connector for each instance to listen for
requests coming from IIS which currently listens on port 80.  We would like
to configure these different apps as Sites instead of Virtual Directories.
For security and metric purposes we would like to differentiate these sites
by using unique ports (as opposed to Host Headers or multiple IP's.)

QUESTION:

How do I configure Tomcat to allow it to accept requests from IIS Sites on
ports other than 80 but return the response as if IIS was listening on port
80?

CONFUSING MESS:

We use a load balancer which handles user traffic on port 80 and it load
balances the requests to the IIS Servers on whichever port I configure the
sites.

Example: www.myapp.com would be configured as a site listening on port 900.
The load balancer would forward the request
(http://www.myapp.com/app/default.jsp) to the configured server:port
combination: 10.0.0.1:900  (or 10.0.0.1:80 if I was using the Default Web
Site in IIS.) However, in the response from Tomcat it uses the port in which
IIS is listening on when replying instead of port 80.

The end user sees the following in their browser:
http://www.myapp.com:900/app/default.jsp. Only port 80 is allowed through
the firewall - therefore the connection never completes.

I eliminated the possibility of IIS causing the issue by successfully
navigating to a static page which IIS serves.  It is when I hit the JSP page
(and the request gets passed on to Tomcat) that the problem occurs.

Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Kjell Eriksen
Kenexa®
People. Systems. Performance.
650 E Swedesford Rd
Wayne, PA 19087
610.971.6146
610.254.1320
www.kenexa.com
material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination, distribution,
forwarding, or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this
prohibited without the express permission of the sender. If you received
this communication in error, please contact the sender and delete the
material from any computer.