Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Cristian Caprar <cc...@gmail.com> on 2020/01/16 09:11:44 UTC

Maven Ant Tasks - cannot connect to Maven Central anymore

Hi everyone,

I know this component is retired, but some projects still use it (we are using SAP Commerce and it makes use if it…).

As of 15 January 2020, the only way to access Maven Central is by https. This starts the issue.

The problem: Maven Ant Task throws an error that it cannot connect to http://repo1.maven.org/maven2 <http://repo1.maven.org/maven2>) and all our builds fail.

Details:
- in Maven Ant Tasks, the mvn task (Mvn class) is being called in our case without a mavenHome (because we are running the build in a Docker container and it does not have Maven in it)
- this task tries to resolve the Maven dependency by itself (downloadAndConfigureMaven method)
- it creates a DependenciesTask without without any configured remote repository and executes it
- the DependenciesTask will create a default remote repository configuration, in base class AbstractArtifactWithRepositoryTask#getDefaultRemoteRepository
- this default remote repo is unfortunately hardcoded to “http://repo1.maven.org/maven2”

We tried to pass -DremoteRepositories=central::default::http://nexus.ourdomain.com/repository/maven-central/ <http://nexus.ourdomain.com/repository/maven-central/> as a command line argument to the Mvn task, but this is ignored by the task as described above.

What I plan to do is to use this command line argument to setup a correct remote repo in the dependencies task when resolving Maven.

Is there any place to contribute the change?

If someone has the same problem, feel free to contact me.

Thank you and all the best,
Cristi C.

Re: Maven Ant Tasks - cannot connect to Maven Central anymore

Posted by Cristian Caprar <cc...@gmail.com>.
Hi Vladimir,

I am aware of https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MANTTASKS-206 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MANTTASKS-206>, but this is not the problem we are having.

Our problem only happens in the downloadAndConfigureMaven branch, where any other setting is ignored and the default hardcoded central repo HTTP url is injected.

This default repo does not come from AbstractArtifactWithRepositoryTask#getDefaultRemoteRepository (even though it should be changed there also, to https), but it comes from the very maven project definition that is in org.apache.maven:maven-project:2.2.1 (which also keeps using http). If that would change to HTTPS, it would be used.

I forked the repo, created a feature branch and submitted a PR to the main repo.

Hope it is useful.

Cristi C.