Posted to dev@roller.apache.org by Elias Torres <el...@torrez.us> on 2006/02/02 07:00:51 UTC

Tagging has arrived!

code conventions? [was: Re: Tagging has arrived!]

Posted by Jeff Blattman <Je...@Sun.COM>.
where are the conventions defined? i missed that i guess.

Re: Tagging has arrived!

Posted by Elias Torres <el...@torrez.us>.

David M Johnson wrote:

> OK, I've got this up and running. Some quick first impressions...
>
> - The code is good and follows our conventions

Thanks.

> - Changes are isolated and don't change existing queries

There's one query that worked in DB2 and did not work on MySQL. We need
to look at this in more detail.

> - No new newsfeeds are added

We should add feeds. I believe we have some velocity templates hooked
up, I just didn't check those in yet.

> - The new Tag Query (tags.do) page could use some work. It should
> probably be a tab rather than status bar choice up there with the  Main
> Menu link.

I agree. I just added it last minute so you can get access to it.

> On first glance, I don't see any reason this shouldn't go into trunk.
> Are we happy with the data model?

Well. We are ok with it, but it doesn't reflect all of the changes that
David Levy had suggested. I'm open to any of his suggestions and I
tried, but I was getting some error with the new columns.

However, if it goes into the trunk, we'll have to worry less about
merging changes. I'm also missing tag display in the admin interface.

Re: Tagging has arrived!

Posted by David M Johnson <Da...@Sun.COM>.
On Feb 2, 2006, at 2:33 PM, Allen Gilliland wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-02-02 at 09:58, David M Johnson wrote:
>> On first glance, I don't see any reason this shouldn't go into trunk.
>> Are we happy with the data model?
>
> whoa, whoa, whoa!  I haven't had a chance to look at this yet, but
> please don't rush this into the trunk.  I'm not sure if your
> comment was really meant to suggest that you felt it was ready for
> the trunk, but I just want to be clear.

I was just trying to get the conversation going. I'm not going to
commit anything to trunk until we're all happy with the contribution.

- Dave

Re: Tagging has arrived!

Posted by Matt Raible <mr...@gmail.com>.
Nope. I haven't had a chance.  Perhaps a hosted demo is in order?  Or
a screencast?

Re: Tagging has arrived!

Posted by David M Johnson <Da...@Sun.COM>.

Re: Tagging has arrived!

Re: Tagging has arrived!

Posted by Elias Torres <el...@torrez.us>.

Re: Tagging has arrived!

Posted by Allen Gilliland <Al...@Sun.COM>.

Re: Tagging has arrived!

Posted by David M Johnson <Da...@Sun.COM>.

Re: Tagging has arrived!

Posted by Elias Torres <el...@torrez.us>.

Re: Tagging has arrived!

Posted by David M Johnson <Da...@Sun.COM>.
On Feb 2, 2006, at 1:00 AM, Elias Torres wrote:
> I just wanted to let you know that the much awaited *preliminary*
> tagging support in Roller (from IBM) has been checked in the tagging
> branch Dave created.
>
> Changes consist of the following:
>
> - - Added new table to createdb.vm to store tagging information
> - - Created new pojo and query results wrapper
> - - Modified the WeblogManager interface to support tags
> - - Implemented WeblogManager using a HibernateStrategy
> - - Modified WeblogEditEntry Form to enter tags
> - - Added new sidebar, tagcloud, etc to Main Page
>
> I want to take the opportunity to give credit to Phay Tac Lau
> (currently
> an IBM intern), who did most of the original development for this
> feature for our upcoming internal blogging release based on Roller
> 2.0.
>
> Let the discussion/development begin!

Thanks Elias and Phat Tac Lau and thanks for blogging about it too.
You might want to change the title of your post tho, tagging is not
going to make it into Roller 2.1. We're currently evaluating Roller
2.1 RC2.

I used the name "roller_2.1_tagging" because the branch is based on
the 2.1 code-base. We might be able to get it into the Feb release
(2.2) if we can get consensus that it is ready for trunk. I've
downloaded your code and will be taking a look at it, I hope others
will as well.

- Dave

Re: Tagging has arrived!

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.
Sorry for being late on bringing this up.

I think we'll need to get a software grant on the Tagging work. See later email.

Hen