Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Julian Wood <wo...@ucalgary.ca> on 2005/08/19 20:48:58 UTC

Re: [m2] no dependencies in webapp build (bug?)

OK, I've played with this some more now. Our network is up and down
due to that dratted W32/IRCbot.worm!, so I couldn't get to the maven
2 docs at all, and was just shooting in the dark a bit.

I still haven't fixed my problem, however. I have two subprojects - a
jar and a webapp, where the webapp requires the jar.

So, just focusing on the jar pom. It's pom has only 3 dependencies
for a successful compile. I can do

     m2 clean:clean compile

successfully when scope is either compile or provided, but obviously
not when scope is either runtime or test. Now when I do

     m2 clean:clean package

I can only compile the test if the scope is set to compile. So trying
to skip the test, while leaving scope at provided:

     m2 -Dmaven.test.skip=true clean:clean package

It still tries to compile the test, and fails, unless I set the
dependency scope to compile. This doesn't seem right in itself, but
the problem gets worse.

So I install my jar into my local repository, making it available to
my webapp. My webapp has no other dependencies. But doing an m2
package of my webapp grabs all the dependencies of the jar, which can
only be scoped at compile, if I want the tests to work. So I seem to
be stuck.

Maybe that's the way it is supposed to work, but it seems like the
'provided' scope should make a dependency available on the classpath
of the test compile. Or maybe there's another way to do that.

In the interim, what sort of a "post goal" could I do to delete the
dependencies from the target lib before assembling into a war?

So I had just found provided, but it still doesn't do what I expected
it to do.

If my dependencies are all compile, everything is fine, except that
it places them in the webapp.

If I set it to provided, compile fails. This doesn't seem right at
all. In fact, the only time I can actually successfully compile is if
the scope is set to compile (not

On 19-Aug-05, at 11:58 AM, <Sa...@swisscom.com>
<Sa...@swisscom.com> wrote:

> Set the scope to 'provided'. I got myself confused, but compile is the
> widest scope.

Julian Wood <wo...@ucalgary.ca>

Programmer/Analyst
University of Calgary

http://commons.ucalgary.ca

Re: [m2] no dependencies in webapp build (bug?)

Posted by Edwin Punzalan <ep...@exist.com>.
I believe this is a bug.

The provided scope should work the same way as the compile scope with
the exception that provided scoped dependencies will not be "packaged"
inside the generated package.

Please file a jira issue on
http://jira.codehaus.org/secure/BrowseProject.jspa?id=10500

Thank you.