Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by Nick Chalko <ni...@chalko.com> on 2003/08/01 09:37:09 UTC

Re: ant 1.5.4 : Import

Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> Jose Alberto Fernandez wrote, On 31/07/2003 13.24:
>
>>> From: Nicola Ken Barozzi [mailto:nicolaken@apache.org]

>>> Wait a second, does this mean that there is crosstalk between the
>>> lines 1, 2, 3?
>>

>> Yes, there is crosstalk and at least in XSLT this is a good thing.
>> It means that you can write a bunch of files with groups of
>> templates on each, and then by just importing them into one buildfile
>> all the pieces can interact with each other. In that way if I want to
>> replace one group of templates in a diferent project I can just change
>> the import line for that particular group and the behaviour changes.
>>
>> We use this technique extensively in our system at work and it makes
>> life extremely easy and modular. So in may opinion this is a good thing.
>

> That's what I do too, just that I don't never had the need or ever
> thought of doing it with targets that are not redefined in the base one.
>
> If you say that you use it and benefit from it, I believe you, and
> makes me feel better :-)
>
> So what I thought was a bug is instead a feature; the important thing
> is that this "feature" is correctly documented.

I used this "feature" in centipede.

The release antlib  has a target called tag-and-release, but it depends
on a target called   tag
However tagis expected to be defined in a different antlib.  Currently
it is defined in cvsbuild,  but it is open for someone to make a
vssbuild  antlib.

So I do think cross talk is a "feature"  but a feature that can be hard
to grok.