Posted to dev@openwhisk.apache.org by OpenWhisk Team Slack <ra...@apache.org> on 2019/12/31 09:41:47 UTC

[slack-digest] [2019-12-30] #general

2019-12-30 06:15:19 UTC - chetanm: I think certs are copied to `ansible/roles/controller/files` folder. However default setup configures mutual auth for SSL which makes it more tricky to connect.

You can try disabling SSL via adding following to `ansible/environments/local/group_vars/all`

```controller_client_auth: false
invoker_client_auth: false
controller_protocol: "http
invoker_protocol: "http"```
https://openwhisk-team.slack.com/archives/C3TPCAQG1/p1577686519084000?thread_ts=1577300028.062300&cid=C3TPCAQG1
----
2019-12-30 13:33:34 UTC - Kirill Ratkin: Hello Everyone,

I need your advice, please. Now I'm in a way to move to OpenWhisk platform.
Original solution is developed as set of stateful microservices.
Some microservices are quite small and could be re-written as a set of actions.
But couple of it are not easy to re-write because some 3-rd party processes are used there (one of them is FreeSwitch).

Could I use docker image (where for example FreeSwitch works) as stateful service
and inject events from this docker container to OpenWhisk and receive answers from
actions which subscribed on such events?
https://openwhisk-team.slack.com/archives/C3TPCAQG1/p1577712814084700?thread_ts=1577712814.084700&cid=C3TPCAQG1
----
2019-12-30 16:47:19 UTC - Nima Mahmoudi: @chetanm Thanks a lot! You have been a great help!
partyparrot : Rodric Rabbah
https://openwhisk-team.slack.com/archives/C3TPCAQG1/p1577724439084800?thread_ts=1577300028.062300&cid=C3TPCAQG1
----
2019-12-30 18:10:07 UTC - Dominic Kim: @Kirill Ratkin Hi Kirill.
If you are looking for a way to invoke actions in response to events from your microservice, one option can be using a message queue such as Kafka.
And there is a package for Kafka in OpenWhisk ecosystem.
<https://github.com/apache/openwhisk-package-kafka>
https://openwhisk-team.slack.com/archives/C3TPCAQG1/p1577729407085100?thread_ts=1577712814.084700&cid=C3TPCAQG1
----
2019-12-30 18:10:56 UTC - Dominic Kim: Actually, that package will run one more generalized microservice to consume events from Kafka and invoke a given action in response to the subscribed events.
https://openwhisk-team.slack.com/archives/C3TPCAQG1/p1577729456085300?thread_ts=1577712814.084700&cid=C3TPCAQG1
----
2019-12-30 18:11:36 UTC - Dominic Kim: What kinds of events are coming from your microservice?
https://openwhisk-team.slack.com/archives/C3TPCAQG1/p1577729496085500?thread_ts=1577712814.084700&cid=C3TPCAQG1
----
2019-12-30 20:50:42 UTC - Kirill Ratkin: Hi, Thank you for link to kafka package!

I can control events from my microservice. The docker image contains FreeSwitch which receives SIP messages from telecom operator network. FreeSwitch has API and I use it to catch SIP messages (like INVITE/ACK/BYE/...) and convert SIP message to any another data structure. For example I can convert it to JSON and (how you recommend) send this JSON to Kafka.
Then, as soon as Action answers my small application (which works in same docker where FreeSwitch works) could receives this answer from Kafka and ask FreeSwitch to send SIP message to operator network.
Such pair (my service + FreeSwitch) currently works in docker image now.
Now my service just sends JSON to Nginx and Nginx routes request to another microservice where logic of telco call control works (this is another microservice and I want to re-write it to sequence of Actions).

It seems your recommendation is exactly what I need to re-write my service which works with FreeSwitch thru its API.

Thank you!
+1 : Dominic Kim
https://openwhisk-team.slack.com/archives/C3TPCAQG1/p1577739042085700?thread_ts=1577712814.084700&cid=C3TPCAQG1
----