Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Ryszard Lach <rl...@id.pl> on 2002/08/01 10:47:31 UTC

Re: Connection between TOMCAT and DB2 ???

On Wed, Jul 31, 2002 at 03:11:03PM -0400, Nishant_Awasthi@progressive.com wrote:

> Thanks Richard for your help,
>
> Yes, just now I managed to connect DB2 to Tomcat and using simple java file
> able to retrieve the values from sample database.
>
> But I have a question for you.
> while defining my Connection URL I never specified a port number.
>   String url = "jdbc:db2://100.3.13.34/sample";
>
> If you see above I just gave IP address of my machine and not port number.
> In past cases I have used port number given to me by the DBA.
>
> I would like to know what is the importance of port number and which
> service is running on this port.

DB2 usually listens on 50000 port (the server). You use it in 'catalog
tcpip node' command on client, then you execute 'catalog
database...as...at node ...' on the client machine and then use the new
database name and ip of the client machine. You don't need the port
number, DB2 client knows it.

Richard.

--
"First they ignore you. Then they laugh at you. Then they
fight you. Then you win." - Mohandas Gandhi.