Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Jason Dunham <jd...@sfis.com> on 2005/06/22 23:36:25 UTC

Forcing a commit

I've searched the archives on this, and it seems apparrent that
Subversion has no analog for the CVS -f option to force a commit.

Our development team would like to force commits for built binaries.  We
store the binaries in the subversion repository because it's a great way
to archive our builds and distribute them to coworkers and testers.
Maybe that's outside the scope of Subversion, but it works really well
for our team.  However, it's irritating to have to update the folders
which store the installer images.  These folders are not sotred in the
trunk, but in a separate tree for builds, parallel to the trunk.

The developers never care if there is a conflict, and on a slow net
connection it is frustrating to have to perform a big worthless update
right before a big commit.

Even better than a -f option on commit would be a svn:ignoreconflict
property.

Jason Dunham
ShotSpotter, Inc.

Re: Forcing a commit

Posted by Jason Dunham <jd...@sfis.com>.
Erik Huelsmann wrote:

>You could use svnput: it's a utility that 'puts' a file into the repository,
>overwriting what's already there. You don't even need a working copy.
>
>It's in the subversion repository in the tools/ or contrib/ dir.
>

>bye,
>

>Erik.

Svnput is probably good enough, but I will still write to the dev@ list
with the feature suggestion.
Thanks for the info.

Jason

Re: Forcing a commit

Posted by Erik Huelsmann <e....@gmx.net>.

--
Geschenkt: 3 Monate GMX ProMail gratis + 3 Ausgaben stern gratis
++ Jetzt anmelden & testen ++ http://www.gmx.net/de/go/promail ++

Re: Forcing a commit

Posted by kf...@collab.net.

Re: Forcing a commit

Posted by Jason Dunham <jd...@sfis.com>.
kfogel@collab.net wrote:

>Jason Dunham <jd...@sfis.com> writes:
>

>>I've searched the archives on this, and it seems apparrent that
>>Subversion has no analog for the CVS -f option to force a commit.
>>
>>Our development team would like to force commits for built binaries.
>>We store the binaries in the subversion repository because it's a
>>great way to archive our builds and distribute them to coworkers and
>>testers.  Maybe that's outside the scope of Subversion, but it works
>>really well for our team.  However, it's irritating to have to update
>>the folders which store the installer images.  These folders are not
>>sotred in the trunk, but in a separate tree for builds, parallel to
>>the trunk.
>>

>Why are you having to update the folders?

There are two of us developing on the same source code in the trunk.  If
my coworker commited the last installer image, and then I make a new
build, then I have to update to get his stale installer build before I
can commit the current one.

>>The developers never care if there is a conflict, and on a slow net
>>connection it is frustrating to have to perform a big worthless update
>>right before a big commit.
>>
>>Even better than a -f option on commit would be a svn:ignoreconflict
>>property.
>>

>I think we'd want a --ignore-conflicts option, and/or an
>"svn:resolution" property that says how to resolve a conflict (values
>could be 'working', 'new', 'old', etc).  Thoughts?
>
>If I understood why you have to do that update, that'd help a lot,
>though.

I like the property idea.  99% of our files work great with Subversion's
exsisting functionality, including everything in the trunk (the source).
But we have a whole "build" branch with about a dozen installer images,
and I'd like to run a commit on the whole folder and have newer files
overwrite whatever is currently in the repo.  So I would set a property
on the whole build folder so that I could force the commit on any newer
file.  Of course if my coworker changed one of the other images, my
older copy should remain uncommitted.  If that's hard to enforce, it
would be fine to just run the commit on the specific subfolder with a
--ignore-conflicts flag.

Thanks,
Jason

Re: Forcing a commit

Posted by Jason Dunham <jd...@sfis.com>.
Mark Phippard wrote:

>kfogel@newton.ch.collab.net wrote on 06/22/2005 07:39:41 PM:
>

>>Why are you having to update the folders?
>>

>I would assume it is because the WC is out of date (like when another
>developer committed the last build).  These are probably updates to
>existing files.  One option would be to come up with a system where they
>only commit new files.  That would solve both problems.

Exactly, another developer committed the last build.

>>I think we'd want a --ignore-conflicts option, and/or an
>>"svn:resolution" property that says how to resolve a conflict (values
>>could be 'working', 'new', 'old', etc).  Thoughts?
>>

>I thought I read recommendations in the past that said you could provide a
>script for diff2/diff3 or something like that, which just says there are
>no conflicts?  He would still have to update though.
>
>Jason, did you know Subversion only stores the binary differences?  For
>some types of binaries, even if the binary itself is large, this could be
>a small amount of data.  Both to send over the wire and store in the
>repository.  For other types of files, it winds up being the entire file.
>
>Mark

Yes, we love the binary differences feature.  A lot of our code is in
LabVIEW, where the source is a few hundred binary files.  Subversion has
been the best tool we've found for keeping the code controlled, even as
we work in different cities and do a fair amount of travelling too.
Source code updates are generally very fast.  But when we create an
installer, the all the source code and the runtime engine are thrown
into some MSI file, and because of the compressed format, the binary
diffing doesn't help at all.

It's not the end of the world to update before we commit, but it is
getting more annoying.

Thanks,
Jason

Re: Forcing a commit