Posted to soap-dev@ws.apache.org by Jean-Luc Cooke <jl...@certainkey.com> on 2002/11/07 17:14:27 UTC

ApcheSOAP without Apache

All, good work on this OSS project.  Very keen.

I'm going to ask something out-landish here and I'm very interested in your
response.

I'd like to create a small java application which accepts HTTP-SOAP requests
and
processes them.  In other words: I want to create a light-weight HTTP-SOAP
service using only Java.

The object with the main(String[]) method would have a ServerSocket and spawn
child worker threads as requests come in.  Not hard.  But how would I parse
the SOAP request myself since there's no Apache/Tomcat/Jakarta?

Many thanks, looking forward to your reply.

JLC

Re: ApcheSOAP without Apache

Posted by Scott Nichol <sn...@scottnichol.com>.
I did something similar to what you describe back when SOAP 0.9 was
current.  Basically, you probably want code to read HTTP headers and
then the HTTP body.  You take the body and parse into an XML DOM, then
traverse the DOM to pick out the important parts of the SOAP call, then
write HTTP headers and XML body for the response.  This is the core of
handling SOAP requests.  Probably well more than 50% of the Apache SOAP
source is devoted to attaching more advanced features onto this and/or
supporting as many features of SOAP 1.1 as possible.

Scott Nichol