Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Simon Kitching <sk...@ops.co.at> on 2008/01/14 11:42:33 UTC

Policy re importing non-APL source into apache svn

Hi,

Sorry for this simple question, but I cannot find an answer on the
incubator site pages.

Is a project under incubation allowed to import its existing sources
(not under the Apache license) into the Apache svn?
And after graduation from the incubator, is it ok for the svn history to
still show those old non-apl files in the history?

In particular, the jspwiki project is at the moment working on getting
its existing code (which is LGPL) into the apache svn repo before
starting its relicense/repackaging process.

I hope the answer is simply "yes". It is nice to be able to see the
complete history of any file, even before its move to Apache. However
this does mean that non-apl source can be downloaded via the apache svn
server which seems a little odd.

Thanks,
Simon

Re: Policy re importing non-APL source into apache svn

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.
On Jan 14, 2008 3:29 PM, Noel J. Bergman <no...@devtech.com> wrote:

> Simon Kitching wrote:
>
> > Is a project under incubation allowed to import its existing sources
> > (not under the Apache license) into the Apache svn?  And after
> > graduation from the incubator, is it ok for the svn history to
> > still show those old non-apl files in the history?
>
> > I hope the answer is simply "yes". It is nice to be able to see the
> > complete history of any file, even before its move to Apache. However
> > this does mean that non-apl source can be downloaded via the apache
> > svn server which seems a little odd.
>
> I honestly don't remember, and seem to recall that we've had both things
> happen in the past, with discussion about it.  There have definitely been
> statements to the effect that projects can clean up their licensing while
> in
> the Incubator.  That also seems to be implied by the presence of the
> Copyright and Distribution Rights questions in the STATUS file.
>
> On the other hand, I also believe that the ASF should have the code grants
> prior to importing the code into SVN.
>
> Discussion?
>
>        --- Noel

The current draft of the proposed third party licensing policy mentions this
and seems to allow it, see:
http://people.apache.org/~rubys/3party.html#transition-incubator

   ...ant

RE: Policy re importing non-APL source into apache svn

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.