Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by "Pastrana, Rodrigo (RIS-BCT)" <Ro...@lexisnexis.com> on 2012/09/25 05:20:24 UTC

libhdfs install dep

Anybody know why libhdfs.so is not found by package managers on CentOS 64 and OpenSuse64?

I hava an rpm which declares Hadoop as a dependacy, but the package managers (KPackageKit, zypper, etc) report libhdfs.so as a missing dependency eventhough Hadoop has been installed via rpm package, and libhdfs.so is installed as well.

Thanks, Rodrigo.

Re: libhdfs install dep

Posted by Brian Bockelman <bb...@cse.unl.edu>.
Hi Rodrigo,

The hadoop RPMs are a bit deficient compared to those you would find from your Linux distribution.

For example, look at the Apache RPM you used:

[bbockelm@rcf-bockelman ~]$ rpm -qp http://mirrors.sonic.net/apache/hadoop/common/hadoop-1.0.3/hadoop-1.0.3-1.x86_64.rpm --provides
hadoop
hadoop = 1.0.3-1

Normally, you would expect to see something like this (using the CDH4 distribution as an example) as it contains a shared library:

[bbockelm@brian-test ~]$ rpm -q --provides hadoop-libhdfs
libhdfs.so.0()(64bit)
hadoop-libhdfs = 2.0.0+88-1.cdh4.0.0.p0.30.osg.el5
libhdfs.so.0
hadoop-libhdfs = 2.0.0+88-1.cdh4.0.0.p0.30.osg.el5

Because the Apache RPM does not list itself as providing libhdfs.so.0()(64bit), it breaks your automatic RPM dependency detection.

[Aside: I know from experience that building a high-quality (as in, follows the Fedora Packaging Guidelines) RPM for Java software is incredibly hard as the packaging approaches between the Linux distributions and Java community are incredibly divergent.  Not to say that the Java approach is inherently wrong, it's just different, and does not translate naturally to RPM.  Accordingly, to take Hadoop and make a rule-abiding RPM in Fedora would be hundreds of hours of work.  It's one of those things that appear to be much easier than it is to accomplish.]

The Hadoop community is very friendly, and I'm sure they would accept any patches to fix this oversight in future releases.

Brian

RE: libhdfs install dep

Posted by Leo Leung <ll...@ddn.com>.
I see,
   The apache RPM distro does include the libhdfs* binaries. (And it is self-contained)

   For the Apache Distro (once installed) Yum,zipper,KPack*  only knows about  hadoop-1.0.1-1.amd* as the provider for the  libhdfs
  (check with rpm -qlp hadoop<version>.rpm -- this will give you all of the files it has/installs or yum deplist <package>)

  So the package that you are trying to install, which is failing the dependency,  has a requirement for
  something name "hadoop" (per your e-mail) as a package that contains the libhdfs.  (This is not what hadoop-1.0.1-1 claims)

  To solve this:   The brute's way
  Force the install of the rpm without dependencies.
  rpm -i --nodeps <the-package>.rpm

  Another way.
        Match up all your RPM package dependencies from the vendor(s)
  1) Talk to the <the-package>.rpm  provider,  to see if they have the proper packaging for the apache RPM distro.
  2) Use or find a hadoop distro from [a] vendor that has all the proper "package" naming resolution.

Good luck

Re: libhdfs install dep

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.
I'd recommend using the packages for Apache Hadoop from Apache Bigtop
(https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/BIGTOP). The ones
upstream (here) aren't maintained as much these days.

--
Harsh J

RE: libhdfs install dep

RE: libhdfs install dep