Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> on 2013/07/31 17:51:02 UTC

Summary of AOO 4.0 download activity for 1st week

We released AOO 4.0 on July 23nd, mid-day UTC.  We only have summary
data for full days, so the following is really for 6.5 days of AOO
4.0, through July 29th.

1,257,653 total downloads (full installs, not including langpacks).

In comparison, the 1st 7 days of AOO 3.4.0 saw around 750K downloads,
and the 1st week of AOO 3.4.1 saw 1.1M downloads.  So we're seeing
some nice growth.

In graphical form you can see it here:
http://www.openoffice.org/stats/downloads.html

Drilling down a little we see that the downloads were:

85% Windows
13% Mac
2% Linux

Of the Linux downloads, 57% were 32-bit,  43% were 64-bit.   49% took
the DEB packages, 51% the RPM.

The top 10 downloads by language were:

en_US 497,089
de 170,089
fr 148,619
it 88,931
ja 76,421
es 68,051
ru 52,756
en_GB 49,560
nl 20,649
pt_BR 18,341

Note also:  We're about it hit the 60 million mark for total AOO
downloads (all versions) probably by tomorrow.  The count stands at
59,739,479 yesterday.

Regards,

-Rob

Re: Summary of AOO 4.0 download activity for 1st week

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Jul 31, 2013 at 12:04 PM, Marcus (OOo) <ma...@wtnet.de> wrote:

> Am 07/31/2013 05:51 PM, schrieb Rob Weir:
>
>  We released AOO 4.0 on July 23nd, mid-day UTC.  We only have summary
>> data for full days, so the following is really for 6.5 days of AOO
>> 4.0, through July 29th.
>>
>> 1,257,653 total downloads (full installs, not including langpacks).
>>
>> In comparison, the 1st 7 days of AOO 3.4.0 saw around 750K downloads,
>> and the 1st week of AOO 3.4.1 saw 1.1M downloads.  So we're seeing
>> some nice growth.
>>
>> In graphical form you can see it here:
>> http://www.openoffice.org/**stats/downloads.html<http://www.openoffice.org/stats/downloads.html>
>>
>> Drilling down a little we see that the downloads were:
>>
>> 85% Windows
>> 13% Mac
>> 2% Linux
>>
>> Of the Linux downloads, 57% were 32-bit,  43% were 64-bit.   49% took
>> the DEB packages, 51% the RPM.
>>
>> The top 10 downloads by language were:
>>
>> en_US 497,089
>> de 170,089
>> fr 148,619
>> it 88,931
>> ja 76,421
>> es 68,051
>> ru 52,756
>> en_GB 49,560
>> nl 20,649
>> pt_BR 18,341
>>
>> Note also:  We're about it hit the 60 million mark for total AOO
>> downloads (all versions) probably by tomorrow.  The count stands at
>> 59,739,479 yesterday.

Really impressive and thanks for the other stats as well.

> Thanks for the numbers and charts. It's always again impressive to see
> these hard facts.
>
> Marcus

MzK

Success is falling nine times and getting up ten."
                             -- Jon Bon Jovi

Re: Summary of AOO 4.0 download activity for 1st week

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Jul 31, 2013 at 1:26 PM, janI <ja...@apache.org> wrote:
> On 31 July 2013 19:18, Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 7/31/13 5:51 PM, Rob Weir wrote:
>> > We released AOO 4.0 on July 23nd, mid-day UTC.  We only have summary
>> > data for full days, so the following is really for 6.5 days of AOO
>> > 4.0, through July 29th.
>> >
>> > 1,257,653 total downloads (full installs, not including langpacks).
>> >
>> > In comparison, the 1st 7 days of AOO 3.4.0 saw around 750K downloads,
>> > and the 1st week of AOO 3.4.1 saw 1.1M downloads.  So we're seeing
>> > some nice growth.
>> >
>> > In graphical form you can see it here:
>> > http://www.openoffice.org/stats/downloads.html
>> >
>> > Drilling down a little we see that the downloads were:
>> >
>> > 85% Windows
>> > 13% Mac
>> > 2% Linux
>> >
>> > Of the Linux downloads, 57% were 32-bit,  43% were 64-bit.   49% took
>> > the DEB packages, 51% the RPM.
>> >
>> > The top 10 downloads by language were:
>> >
>> > en_US 497,089
>> > de 170,089
>> > fr 148,619
>> > it 88,931
>> > ja 76,421
>> > es 68,051
>> > ru 52,756
>> > en_GB 49,560
>> > nl 20,649
>> > pt_BR 18,341
>> >
>> > Note also:  We're about it hit the 60 million mark for total AOO
>> > downloads (all versions) probably by tomorrow.  The count stands at
>> > 59,739,479 yesterday.
>>
>> some nice numbers for the end of the day, thanks for sharing Rob
>>

> indeed nice numbers. Question is how can we tell the world that we are
> growing, in a polite and non-war-starting way.

This is what we did at 50 million:

https://blogs.apache.org/OOo/entry/apache_openoffice_one_year_50

No wars followed from that blog post.

I don't think we need that level of analysis for 60 million, but maybe
a blog post that treats the 1st week (or two) of AOO 4.0 traffic, and
mentions 60 million also, would work.

This is not urgent.  I'd like to give your recent post some time on
the top of the blog page before we bump it with another.

Regards,

-Rob

Posted by janI <ja...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@gmail.com>.