Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org> on 2007/08/19 14:56:06 UTC

[S2] [2.1.x] Bundled Plugins (was Re: Ajax Theme)

On 8/18/07, Musachy Barroso <mu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> do you mean to move the plugin out of Struts? Because Dojo is already
> on its own plugin in trunk.

My question was whether we wanted to keep Dojo as part of the project,
or move it GoogleCode, along with the YUI plugin. I think some of the
other questions misunderstood where we already are, in that for 2.1.x
Dojo is one of our bundled plugins, like Spring and JasperReports.
Right now the bundled plugin list for 2.1.x is

 * codebehind
 * config-browser
 * dojo
 * jasperreports
 * jfreechart
 * jsf
 * pell-multichart
 * plexus
 * spring
 * struts1
 * tiles

The underlying question is whether we have active committers who
actually *want* to maintain all of these plugins as part of the trunk.

Initially, we dragged most of these along because there were part of
WebWork and 2.0 was the backward-compatibility series. Moving forward,
we might want to be more careful about the plugins that we bundle. One
idea would be to create a Struts Plugin project somewhere, where
third-party plugins could be maintained jointly.

My suggestion would be to retain

 * codebehind
 * config-browser
 * jsf
 * struts1
 * tiles

and add (with the permission of the owners)

 * JSON Plugin
 * Table Tags
 * Smart URLs

And then encourage the remainder be adopted by an independant open
source project (while we keep a snapshot of what we have now in the
Archive).

 * dojo
 * jasperreports
 * jfreechart
 * pell-multichart
 * plexus
 * spring

Ideally, some of the other plugin projects might merge into the
independant Struts Plugin project, making it easier for people to gain
access later if the original author drifts awqay.

Thoughts?

-Ted.

Re: [S2] [2.1.x] Bundled Plugins

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.
On 8/19/07, Don Brown <mr...@twdata.org> wrote:

> Agreed, Spring should be a first-tier plugin.  I'm fine with spinning
> off the others, but who would maintain them?  If it will be the same
> people, then perhaps we should keep them in the repository.

Perhaps I'm missing something here, but how would spinning out plugins fit
with the original intent to have Struts 2.x be a more unified framework,
with less of a need for accretion of scattered pieces to get what you need
to build an application? It seems to me that the more we spin out, and the
more places we spin out to, the more we're back to one of the main problems
we wanted to solve with Struts 2.

--
Martin Cooper

How does Maven handle this situation?  Wendy?

Re: [S2] [2.1.x] Bundled Plugins

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.
On 8/19/07, Don Brown <mr...@twdata.org> wrote:

> Sorry, what I meant was what has Maven learned about managing plugins?
>  As Martin pointed out, it can easily become scattered and confusing
> for users, but on the other hand, opening up plugins for outside
> contributions let's us focus on the core of Struts 2.  How does Maven
> ensure the support of popular plugins?

There is a mojo project over at Codehaus, and Maven searches that
groupId by default along with org.apache.maven.plugins.  That covers
most of the useful 'generic' plugins.

Other projects and individuals are also releasing Maven plugins along
with their stuff-- Jetty, MyFaces, Cargo, several Docbook plugins,
etc.

You can ask questions about any Maven plugin on users@maven, even if
it's not a "core" plugin there's usually someone around who can either
help or get you to the right place (Cargo users list, etc.)

--
Wendy

Re: [S2] [2.1.x] Bundled Plugins

Posted by Don Brown <mr...@twdata.org>.

Re: [S2] [2.1.x] Bundled Plugins

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.

Re: [S2] [2.1.x] Bundled Plugins

Posted by "Frank W. Zammetti" <fz...@omnytex.com>.
Martin Cooper wrote:
> I honestly don't see that we could point at some other project outside the
> ASF and say that we "endorse" the plugins produced by that project when what
> we are really saying is that we don't consider those plugins to be
> sufficiently worthy to live at the ASF.

I suppose that's one interpretation.  I'd see it more like
struts.sourceforge.net though... it's just an external location where
things can live and develop.  Maybe saying it's "endorsed" does go too
far, but just pointing it out and saying "there's some plugins that may
or may not eventually make it into the mainline distribution", wouldn't
that be OK?  I mean, I haven't looked in a while, but I recall there
being a link to struts.sourceforge.net on the main Struts site... does
that qualify as an endorsement?  I wouldn't think so, but maybe I'm
wrong there.

 > Plus, I personally would have a
> pretty fundamental problem with "endorsing" any one specific project outside
> the ASF in preference to any other.

I would too from the perspective of Struts as a project endorsing
something, no question.  But I think it's a question of semantics:
calling something a project carries certain connotations, so maybe
that's the wrong word to use... Repository?  Registry?  Catalog?  I
don't think these carry the same connotations, but all could equally
describe such an external entity.

 > I suspect we could get into legal trouble over that sort of thing.

You may be right about that, my Bar card hasn't arrived yet so I can't
say ;)

> --
> Martin Cooper

Frank

Re: [S2] [2.1.x] Bundled Plugins

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.
On 8/19/07, Frank W. Zammetti <fz...@omnytex.com> wrote:

> Martin Cooper wrote:
> > Perhaps. Perhaps not. But it's pretty much guaranteed that we would
> lower
> > the base of people who _could_ use them if they're not here. Some
> companies
> > (my current employer included) require approval for each and every open
> > source component before it can be used within the company.
>
> FYI, I'm in the same boat where I am, and I know the hassles we go
> through sometimes to get various libraries/components/whatever approved,
> so I definitely know where your coming from with this point.  In talking
> to other folks, this doesn't seem to be unusual at all.
>
> > I disagree. I think it is just fine to distribute such code. If people
> start
> > to use it and have problems with it, then perhaps this will drive
> additional
> > contributors to it. Gaining additional contributors to it as part of
> Struts
> > seems much more likely to me than if it's off in the weeds somewhere.
>
> You mentioned the "...respected source such as the ASF" in the previous
> paragraph, and I certainly agree.  I think however that if the approach
> was as you say, that potentially untested code, or more accurately code
> not used to a great extent by active committers, which I believe is what
> Ted was talking about, was coming out of a respected ASF project, it's
> not hard to imagine that respect declining when a lot of bug reports are
> opened for a particular plugin.  One plugin could wind up ruining the
> good reputation of the larger project.

We already have the notion of "experimental" pieces. I see this as being
somewhere between the core and the experimental pieces.

And if no one was maintaining and using that code to begin with, I think
> it's a bit of a gamble to hope someone will be spurred into action by
> some negative feedback.  Maybe someone will be, but I don't think that's
> a risk worth taking if you want to keep a good reputation and keep being
> a respected project :)
>
> I for one see Ted's suggestion as a good compromise... you could almost
> in a sense view the external location, wherever that happens to be, as
> something of a plugin incubator... assure the code has a community of
> developers willing to maintain it and ensure it's at a level of quality
> that fits in with the rest of the S2 distro proper, and *then* roll it
> in to the distro later.  For any plugin that there's any doubt about
> today (and I don't know which those are), they can be shifted there and
> allowed to grow that community.  And if some never do, it's not the end
> of the world: they're still there for anyone that wants them.

To address the concern you raised about approvals, I think it would be
> important to make the external location an endorsed source of plugins.
> Maybe it makes more sense to have a plugins subproject under Struts, I
> don't know, but whatever the case, so long as people understood that
> yes, this plugin repository/incubator/whatever was *the* approved place
> to get plugins from, I believe the approval process would be eased a bit
> for most users in that same situation as we are.

I honestly don't see that we could point at some other project outside the
ASF and say that we "endorse" the plugins produced by that project when what
we are really saying is that we don't consider those plugins to be
sufficiently worthy to live at the ASF. Plus, I personally would have a
pretty fundamental problem with "endorsing" any one specific project outside
the ASF in preference to any other. I suspect we could get into legal
trouble over that sort of thing.

--
Martin Cooper

At the end of the day, it's always said that an ASF project depends on

Re: [S2] [2.1.x] Bundled Plugins

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.
On 8/20/07, Musachy Barroso <mu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm sold with Paul's idea, now a question, could it be possible for
> people to become committers to the plugins in this subproject without
> being an struts committer?

Write access and being a committer are the same thing. So, no. :(

> I have 2 people helping me with the GWT plugin, and the JSON plugin,
> in the first case one of them rewrote the plugin for the new GWT
> version, on the second case the other one is fixing bugs and making
> improvements. It would be great if people could  become committers to
> this subproject easier (compared to becoming an struts committer).

Yes, a big plus of hosting the plugin sites elsewhere is that its
possible to have a lower bar.

If these sites started to merge together into a a larger S2 plugin
site, it might be even easier for people to work together on various
plugins. It would make a great deal of sense for the GWT, JSON, Dojo,
and YUI plugins to all be part of the same site.

-Ted.

Re: [S2] [2.1.x] Bundled Plugins

Posted by Musachy Barroso <mu...@gmail.com>.
I'm sold with Paul's idea, now a question, could it be possible for
people to become committers to the plugins in this subproject without
being an struts committer?

I have 2 people helping me with the GWT plugin, and the JSON plugin,
in the first case one of them rewrote the plugin for the new GWT
version, on the second case the other one is fixing bugs and making
improvements. It would be great if people could  become committers to
this subproject easier (compared to becoming an struts committer).

musachy

Re: [S2] [2.1.x] Bundled Plugins

Posted by Paul Benedict <pb...@apache.org>.
Don,

Re: [S2] [2.1.x] Bundled Plugins

Posted by Nils-Helge Garli <ni...@gmail.com>.
Since it was refactored into a plugin, it has really undergone a face
lift, with a lot off issues resolved and stability improved. I can see
that there's a lot of documentation to be written. But other than
that, in your (as in everyone) opinion, what are the major areas where
it needs to be improved? I'm really interested in getting feedback on
this.

Nils-H

Re: [S2] [2.1.x] Bundled Plugins

Posted by Don Brown <mr...@twdata.org>.

Re: [S2] [2.1.x] Bundled Plugins

Posted by Nils-Helge Garli <ni...@gmail.com>.

Re: [S2] [2.1.x] Bundled Plugins

Posted by Don Brown <mr...@twdata.org>.

Re: [S2] [2.1.x] Bundled Plugins

Posted by Paul Benedict <pb...@apache.org>.
Hi all.

Re: [S2] [2.1.x] Bundled Plugins

Posted by "Frank W. Zammetti" <fz...@omnytex.com>.
Martin Cooper wrote:
> [...]

don't know, but whatever the case, so long as people understood that
yes, this plugin repository/incubator/whatever was *the* approved place
to get plugins from, I believe the approval process would be eased a bit
for most users in that same situation as we are.

At the end of the day, it's always said that an ASF project depends on
developers who themselves are using the code.  It's supposed to be code
for themselves that they happen to share with others, that's how I've
come to understand the underlying concept anyway.  If that's true, then
it seems like keeping code in S2 that might not be maintained and
actually used by active commutters is a contradiction of that, and Ted's
suggestion offers a viable alternative that keeps the code alive, and in
fact presents (possibly) a better chance for it to succeed.

Frank

Re: [S2] [2.1.x] Bundled Plugins

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.
On 8/19/07, Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org> wrote:

> I'm not sure that anyone is maintaining them now. I'm not sure that
> they all work.
>
> My thinking is that if they are kept at another location where there
> is a lower bar to entry, then perhaps we can attract someone to
> maintain them.

Perhaps. Perhaps not. But it's pretty much guaranteed that we would lower
the base of people who _could_ use them if they're not here. Some companies
(my current employer included) require approval for each and every open
source component before it can be used within the company. By pushing
plugins out of the Struts distribution, we force additional approvals at
such companies just to be able to use the plugins. Many will opt to avoid
those additional dependencies, either because of the hassle or because they
cannot justify the additional external dependency that now doesn't come from
a respected source such as the ASF.

My concern is that some of the code in our distribution is not being
> used, or otherwise fully tested, by anyone in the group. When that is
> the case, then we should not be distributing the code.

I disagree. I think it is just fine to distribute such code. If people start
to use it and have problems with it, then perhaps this will drive additional
contributors to it. Gaining additional contributors to it as part of Struts
seems much more likely to me than if it's off in the weeds somewhere.

--
Martin Cooper

We should

Re: [S2] [2.1.x] Bundled Plugins

Posted by Musachy Barroso <mu...@gmail.com>.
> For the plugins itself: I believe that the spring plugin as well as the
> portlet plugin belong (close) to the core, since they are widely used
> and , afaik at least for the portlet plugin, actively maintained. Btw,
> what are the current issues with spring plugin, if there are?

+1

> So, why don't we fork off a 0.9 dojo plugin under the proposed struts
> external umbrella at google code or sourceforge? I think this would be a
> very attractive starting point with the potential to have many
> developers involved soon. The 0.4 dojo plugin would stay under the asf
> struts umbrella, ensuring people will find what they are known to find.
> Maybe we would want to strip it down to a more base functionality then.
> Maybe we should also put some thoughts into splitting up UI
> functionality integration from the pure AJAX functionalities
> integration, regarding dojo encapsulation through the struts framework.

I would agree if it wasn't for the fact of how unstable Dojo is. After
seen how many things would just stop working from one minor release to
the other I wouldn't want to touch 0.9 for a while.

musachy

Re: [S2] [2.1.x] Bundled Plugins

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.
On 8/22/07, Rene Gielen <rg...@apache.org> wrote:
> In another post Ted mentioned that this was tried in struts1 before, and
> it did not work. This was before the merger, so I don't know why that
> happened. I'm not sure if preconditions would be the same now, maybe it
> works better this time?

The two concerns were creating so many release artifacts, and tracking
which artifact release went with each core release.

A key question will be whether most plugins remain stable between
point releases. If each point release forces several plugins to be
released, then we're creating extra work without accomplishing much.
Though, given the nature of plugins, they may tend to be stable.

We could start to address the second question using Maven as a
stopgap, but I don't know if we want to make Maven critical to our API
for very long. If we are going to have separate release cycles, then I
would strongly prefer that a plugin  fail fast and hard if the minimum
core requirements are not met. (The way, say, FireFox does.)

Of course, if we minimize how many plugins we carry here, then both
concerns are also minimized.

> For the jasper, pell, plexus and jfreechart I don't see moving them out
> to some external project would give us. Do we have major open points for
> these plugins? IMO they should reside within the ASF part of the framework.

That's fine, so long as another committer says to me: "I'm using this
plugin in production, or I have tested it throughly and realistically
on my local machine, and I vouch that it works as advertised. And, if
it doesn't, I'll fix it!"

Otherwise, I'm strongly -1 on distributing code that everyone here is
ignoring just because we think someone, somewhere might be using it.
If it's in the distribution, people expect it to work. It's cruel to
let some hapless soul find out something is broken the hard way.

-Ted.

Re: [S2] [2.1.x] Bundled Plugins

Posted by Rene Gielen <rg...@apache.org>.
I believe that since in 2.1 the functionalities are cleanly separated
into core and plugins for the first time, the next logical step is to
have independant life cycles for them. This would give us the
opportunity to assure core distribution quality better, as well as
marking experimental/beta for what _is_ experimental or beta. With
maven2 we have the tool to manage dependencies / requirements easily
(man, I never believed I'm going to become a maven fellow ... :))

In another post Ted mentioned that this was tried in struts1 before, and
it did not work. This was before the merger, so I don't know why that
happened. I'm not sure if preconditions would be the same now, maybe it
works better this time? If we start off with an independent lifecycle
for non core plugins under the ASF/Struts umbrella and we see that it
does not fit for one ore more of these plugins, we would still be free
to move them out a google code plugin zoo project, which is a good idea
at all to set up IMO. But in the first place, I personally would like to
offer people the functionalities they might be using for years now
(including those moving over from ww to struts2) from a single source.

For the plugins itself: I believe that the spring plugin as well as the
portlet plugin belong (close) to the core, since they are widely used
and , afaik at least for the portlet plugin, actively maintained. Btw,
what are the current issues with spring plugin, if there are?

For the jasper, pell, plexus and jfreechart I don't see moving them out
to some external project would give us. Do we have major open points for
these plugins? IMO they should reside within the ASF part of the framework.

Although dojo needs a lot of work, there seem to be lot of people out
there to use functionalities we give them with dojo under the hood,
mostly the widgets and the event systen integration. If people talk
about broken, they often refer to the AJAX integration, but that's not
all we (and many s2 users) use dojo for.

On the other hand, to get momentum into the dojo development, a easy to
entry community with many hands would help a lot. And 0.9 integration
will be a point soon...

So, why don't we fork off a 0.9 dojo plugin under the proposed struts
external umbrella at google code or sourceforge? I think this would be a
very attractive starting point with the potential to have many
developers involved soon. The 0.4 dojo plugin would stay under the asf
struts umbrella, ensuring people will find what they are known to find.
Maybe we would want to strip it down to a more base functionality then.
Maybe we should also put some thoughts into splitting up UI
functionality integration from the pure AJAX functionalities
integration, regarding dojo encapsulation through the struts framework.

For the table tag plugin, and maybe even the JSF plugin, I believe that
it is not that widely used till now and they might be also candidates to
attract external developers by moving it out.

Regards,
Rene

Re: [S2] [2.1.x] Bundled Plugins

Posted by Don Brown <mr...@twdata.org>.
Actually, plugins already have a robust, tested versioning and
dependency management system - Maven 2.  Since Struts 2 plugins are
built-time resources, their version and what versions they require are
specified in the pom.xml and managed by Maven 2.  If you want to use a
Struts 2 plugin that requires an older version of Struts 2, you'll
have to explicitly, in Maven 2, handle that conflict.

Of course, not everyone uses Maven 2, so perhaps we could build
something that uses the pom.xml that Maven 2 automatically puts in the
jar.  I'd love to have a little plugin that did printed out something
like php's phpinfo() method, or it could process the pom.xml's in a
more intelligent way to do things like print warnings for mismatched
versions.

Don

Re: [S2] [2.1.x] Bundled Plugins

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.

Re: [S2] [2.1.x] Bundled Plugins

Posted by Ian Roughley <ia...@fdar.com>.

Re: [S2] [2.1.x] Bundled Plugins

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.
I'm not sure that anyone is maintaining them now. I'm not sure that
they all work.

My thinking is that if they are kept at another location where there
is a lower bar to entry, then perhaps we can attract someone to
maintain them.

My concern is that some of the code in our distribution is not being
used, or otherwise fully tested, by anyone in the group. When that is
the case, then we should not be distributing the code. We should

Re: [S2] [2.1.x] Bundled Plugins

Posted by Don Brown <mr...@twdata.org>.

RE: [S2] [2.1.x] Bundled Plugins

Posted by James Holmes <ja...@jamesholmes.com>.
+1 for keeping the Spring module at the Struts project.

Re: [S2] [2.1.x] Bundled Plugins

Posted by Tom Schneider <sc...@gmail.com>.