Posted to dev@tuscany.apache.org by Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com> on 2007/11/01 12:22:31 UTC

NOTICEs and LICENSEs was:Re: [VOTE] 2nd try: Release Tuscany SCA Java 1.0.1-incubating (RC3)

While looking through the latest RC I started looking at the LICENSE/NOTICE.
I find it very difficult to do this as it feels like there is missing
information. Some people seem to be able to home in on issues with uncanny
speed and I would like to know how they are doing it.  Does someone have a
master list that they could share describing what jars we use/what code we
include, how they are licensed and what NOTICEs we are expected to reproduce
.

This is problematic for me because I can look at the NOTICE file but I can't
tell from this what jars it refers to. Also the LICENSE file is not
consistent in the way that it refers to jars. Sometimes it's very explicit,
e.g.

dwr-2.0.1.jar :

/*
* Copyright 2005 Joe Walker
etc.

Sometimes it isn't, e.g.

dojotoolkit :

The "New" BSD License:
**********************
etc.

I would like to spend a little effort trying to get to grips with this and
potentially making our LICENSE/NOTICE files more consistent so any advice
from experts in this area is much appreciated.

Regards

Simon

Re: NOTICEs and LICENSEs was:Re: [VOTE] 2nd try: Release Tuscany SCA Java 1.0.1-incubating (RC3)

Posted by Venkata Krishnan <fo...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

I am not an expert with this.  But what I do is list all the jars we are
distributing and ensure that we are including each one of them in the
LICENSE and Notice files.  Rather crude isn't it ;-).  I did raise the issue
of specific version numbers being left out in the License files for the jars
in the previous releases and am given to understand that mention of the name
is ok.  I'd am eager to hear if there are better ways of doing this check.

- Venkat