Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by 治江 王 <wa...@yahoo.com.cn> on 2009/02/16 06:48:33 UTC

the efficiency of creating indexes

As i know, the time effciency of creating index is non-linearity with the size of documents. For example, if the size of indexes is 1G, the time cost is 2 hours, If the size of indexes is 10G, the time cost may be 30 hours. Who can tell me what is the reason? Any tips will be appreciated.

  好玩贺卡等你发,邮箱贺卡全新上线!
http://card.mail.cn.yahoo.com/

Re: the efficiency of creating indexes

Posted by Michael McCandless <lu...@mikemccandless.com>.
If not for merging, I believe indexing is simply linear.

Merging adds only a logarithmic (in total index size) cost.

Using as large an IndexWriter RAM buffer as you can will minimize the
amount of merging.  (Also increasing mergeFactor, or decreasing
maxMergeMB/Docs, but these will impact search performance as well).

Mike

Posted by Fa...@emc.com.