Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org> on 2002/12/04 14:31:59 UTC

Re: cvs commit: avalon-sandbox/avalon5 - New directory

leosimons@apache.org wrote:
> leosimons    2002/12/04 05:30:25
>
>   avalon-sandbox/avalon5 - New directory

Please wait for the vote to end and the results be set in the status file.

Thank you.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -

Re: cvs commit: avalon-sandbox/avalon5 - New directory

Posted by Leo Simons <le...@apache.org>.
I'm in the process of reorganising some modules as was discussed over a
week ago. I'll not make the changes for the particular bit but I'll make
all the other changes as previously discussed.

cheers,

- Leo

Posted by Leo Simons <le...@apache.org>.

Posted by Leo Simons <le...@apache.org>.

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
Berin Loritsch wrote:
> From: Nicola Ken Barozzi [mailto:nicolaken@apache.org]
>
> leosimons@apache.org wrote:
>
>>leosimons    2002/12/04 05:30:25
>>
>>  avalon-sandbox/avalon5 - New directory
>
> Please wait for the vote to end and the results be set in the
> status file.
>
> However, it does seem we are headed for the avalon-sandbox
> route.  It makes sense, and it would be better for us to
> get started than for us to debate the thing till the cows come
> home.

Yes, but...

> However, I do want to make my feelings clear on this point:
>
> I do not want to see several avalon5 proposal directories.  We
> as a community need to work together on one Avalon 5.  We can't
> do that if everyone is off in their own corner.

...exactly.

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.

Posted by Leo Simons <le...@apache.org>.
> >>From: Nicola Ken Barozzi [mailto:nicolaken@apache.org]

> >>Please wait for the vote to end and the results be set in the
> >>status file.

lots of people wrote <lots-of-stuff/>.

Just for clarity, the changes I was going to make have nothing to do
with current discussions or votes; I merely wanted to move some code
from one cvs to another (as had been discussed and sorta lazily voted
upon a week before).

nevermind though.

cheers,

- Leo

Re: cvs commit: avalon-sandbox/avalon5 - New directory

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@apache.org>.
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

 > I also propose that every committer that will propose an internal
 > fork will have to go thru the community vote to be allowed to do
 > that.

+1

 From an e-mail I sent to community@ (Subject: Convergence, vetoes,
forks, and projects):

 > Forks should be clearly identified with separate names per the rules
 > for revolutionaries e-mail.  For external forks, i.e., ones that
 > reside outside of ASF servers, this is all that is necessary.  For
 > internal forks, it is important to realize that the PMC is still
 > accountable for that code and the rules for voting and commit
 > privileges still apply.
 >
 > In other words, the creation of such internal forks is to be done
 > based on consensus on the scope, visibility, and design direction of
 > such an effort.  This does not mean that there needs to be consensus
 > of opinion on the viability of the design approach; merely that the
 > idea merits exploration - even if the ultimate result is only to
 > prove that it is indeed a dead end.
 >
 > As long this code resides under the purview of an existing PMC, no
 > separate voting or commit rights should be sanctioned for this code.
 > Nor should vetoes be used after the fact to change the agreed upon
 > scope of such an effort.

- Sam Ruby

Re: [VOTE] internal fork allowed by vote ( Re: cvs commit: avalon-sandbox/avalon5 - New directory )

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.

Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> From: Stefano Mazzocchi [mailto:stefano@apache.org]
>

>> I also propose that every committer that will propose an internal
>> fork will have to go thru the community vote to be allowed to do that.
>

> +1

+1

--

Stephen J. McConnell

OSM SARL
digital products for a global economy
mailto:mcconnell@osm.net
http://www.osm.net

RE: [VOTE] internal fork allowed by vote ( Re: cvs commit: avalon-sandbox/avalon5 - New directory )

Posted by Leo Sutic <le...@inspireinfrastructure.com>.

> From: Stefano Mazzocchi [mailto:stefano@apache.org]
> >
> >I also propose that every committer that will propose an
> >internal fork
> >will have to go thru the community vote to be allowed to do that.

+1

Sensible. Then the internal fork will probably have a
defined scope and will then be easy to merge back instead
of shooting off and becoming a standalone project.

/LS

Re: [VOTE] internal fork allowed by vote ( Re: cvs commit: avalon-sandbox/avalon5 - New directory )

Posted by Marcus Crafter <cr...@fztig938.bank.dresdner.net>.
> From: Stefano Mazzocchi [mailto:stefano@apache.org]
> >
> >I also propose that every committer that will propose an
> >internal fork
> >will have to go thru the community vote to be allowed to do that.

	+1

	Cheers,

	Marcus

     ,,$$$$$$$$$,      Marcus Crafter
    $:         $$$$:   ManageSoft GmbH
     ;$,    _/\ &&:'   60327 Frankfurt Germany
       '     /( &&&
           \_&&&&'
          &&&&.
    &&&&&&&:

[VOTE] internal fork allowed by vote ( Re: cvs commit: avalon-sandbox/avalon5 - New directory )

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
From: Stefano Mazzocchi [mailto:stefano@apache.org]

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@citi-us.com>.

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@citi-us.com>.

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@citi-us.com>.

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Berin Loritsch wrote:
>>From: Nicola Ken Barozzi [mailto:nicolaken@apache.org]
>>
>>leosimons@apache.org wrote:
>>
>>>leosimons    2002/12/04 05:30:25
>>>
>>>  avalon-sandbox/avalon5 - New directory
>>
>>Please wait for the vote to end and the results be set in the
>>status file.
>

> However, it does seem we are headed for the avalon-sandbox
> route.  It makes sense, and it would be better for us to
> get started than for us to debate the thing till the cows come
> home.
>
> However, I do want to make my feelings clear on this point:
>
> I do not want to see several avalon5 proposal directories.  We
> as a community need to work together on one Avalon 5.  We can't
> do that if everyone is off in their own corner.

+1

the rules for revolutionaries should be applied for that: a revolution.

Avalon 5 already is one. We don't need more revolutions than one since
one is already disruptive enough.

I think we are not that braindamaged that we can't see a point without
requiring to run the code. Expecially for non-visual things like avalon.

We are doing framework design, dudes, if email is not good, send some
code here or write some documents and place them on the web. We don't
need several implementations or branches.

Stefano Mazzocchi                               <st...@apache.org>

Re: cvs commit: avalon-sandbox/avalon5 - New directory

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@citi-us.com>.