Posted to rivet-dev@tcl.apache.org by "David N. Welton" <da...@dedasys.com> on 2003/03/11 09:18:28 UTC

Re: rivet initialization directives

davidw@dedasys.com (David N. Welton) writes:

> Ick, I vote no on that:-) I don't like special characters like that.
> If anything, maybe an optional fourth component to the
> directive....?

> RivetUserConf BeforeScript "tcl script" OverRide

> I don't know... this stuff is already nasty enough:-/

Basically... I think the decision we need to make is

1) Is it possible to 'contain' user code with BeforeScript and
   AfterScript using something like this:

set pageinterp [interp create]
interp eval $pageinterp {

... user page ...

}
interp delete $pageinterp

I guess the user can get out of this one, so using Before/After
scripts isn't going to be of much use in any case...  Let's just make
the override, shall we?

I would like to be able to find a way to do environments where users
don't necessarily trust one another.  Time to start experimenting with
the Interp commands, although it's a pity it's not scriptable.

--
David N. Welton
   Consulting: http://www.dedasys.com/

Re: rivet initialization directives

Posted by "David N. Welton" <da...@dedasys.com>.
Damon Courtney <da...@your.unreality.com> writes:

> > I guess the user can get out of this one, so using Before/After
> > scripts isn't going to be of much use in any case...  Let's just
> > make the override, shall we?

> > I would like to be able to find a way to do environments where
> > users don't necessarily trust one another.  Time to start
> > experimenting with the Interp commands, although it's a pity it's
> > not scriptable.

>     NeoWebScript handled all of this beautifully.  That's where we
> need to start looking.  I've already given quite a bit of thought to
> all of this, and it'll be some work, but I know it's possible.  I
> still use NWS in some places simply because I am working with an
> untrusted userbase.  0-]

I'm thinking that getting this right could give us a leg up on
tclhttpd and aolserver, at least in that department.  I really want to
retire NWS and mod_dtcl off the web page, too... We need more focus as
'apache/tcl'.

Posted by Damon Courtney <da...@your.unreality.com>.