Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Matthieu Baechler <ma...@apache.org> on 2019/07/01 09:29:19 UTC

Re: MQ in JAMES

Hi,

sorry for the long delay

On Wed, 2019-06-26 at 10:58 -0500, Juan Carlos Buitrago wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm currently in the process of planning a simple SMTP app to add
> footers
> and scan for keywords in all outgoing company email. I've read some
> of the
> documentation and it looks like this can be done setting up JAMES as
> an
> SMTP relay and a couple of mailets to add footers and scan for
> keywords.

It's a use case where James should shine

> I've seen that there is no updated version of James HA. So my
> question is,
> What happens to mail being processed when calling a programmed
> shutdown?
> What happens to mail on an abrupt restart? Does it stay in the queue
> until
> the server restarts?

James rely on ActiveMQ persistence and transactionnality so you should
restart the processing when the server restarts.

> Since the app is simple, I'm planning to just run multiple instances
> balanced by some external balancer. Is there any problem with this
> approach?

It's fine. You should just make sure the filesystem is persistent
because ActiveMQ stores its data on it.

> Lastly, Can JAMES use other MQ products or does it have to use
> ActiveMQ?

ActiveMQ is used in its embedded form. There's another MQ
implementation that uses RabbitMQ if you like experimental stuff.

We are polishing this RabbitMQ implementation right now so it should be
production-ready in the near future.

Cheers,

--
Matthieu Baechler