Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Tomas Rodriguez <ad...@yahoo.ca> on 2009/03/28 15:24:31 UTC

HTTP Status 500 The server encountered an internal error () that prevented it from fulfilling this request

Thanks Charles.

I have been following you , I created all file and directory step by step,
but I don't know what is the context for my new file web.xml, however I
wrote this context inside it.

version="2.5">

<welcome-file-list>
  <welcome-file>index.html</welcome-file>
  <welcome-file>index.htm</welcome-file>
  <welcome-file>index.jsp</welcome-file>
</welcome-file-list>
</web-app>

That it.  what context should I include inside?. I'm not use any servlet, my
example is simple, a few line for connection with a DB in mysql and that it.
I don't have any other file such as classes or servlet or something like
that.

in the file create the file C:\tomcat6.0\conf\Catalina\localhost\tomas.xml
I wrote this.
------------
<Context docBase="D:/websites/tomcatwebsite" />
------------

when I tried to load my example page http://127.0.0.1:8080/tomas, the
navigator show me this error now.

HTTP Status 500 -

type Exception report

message

description The server encountered an internal error () that prevented it
from fulfilling this request.

exception

org.apache.jasper.JasperException: java.lang.ClassCastException:
org.apache.catalina.util.DefaultAnnotationProcessor cannot be cast to
org.apache.AnnotationProcessor
	org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.getServlet(JspServletWrapper.java:156)
	org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.service(JspServletWrapper.java:329)
	org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java:342)
	org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:267)
	javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:717)

root cause

java.lang.ClassCastException:
org.apache.catalina.util.DefaultAnnotationProcessor cannot be cast to
org.apache.AnnotationProcessor
	org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.getServlet(JspServletWrapper.java:146)
	org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.service(JspServletWrapper.java:329)
	org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java:342)
	org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:267)
	javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:717)

note The full stack trace of the root cause is available in the Apache
Tomcat/6.0.18 logs.

thanks charles for huge help to me.
have a good day.
sincerely
Tomas Rodriguez

RE: HTTP Status 500 The server encountered an internal error () that prevented it from fulfilling this request

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Tomas Rodriguez [mailto:admhardsoft@yahoo.ca]
> Subject: Re: HTTP Status 500 The server encountered an internal error
> () that prevented it from fulfilling this request

> I put inside of the directory example/jsp my  pagejava1jsp and I loaded
> with IE at the   http://127.0.0.1:8080/examples/jsp/pagejava1.jsp
> and the web page work fine, but I change for other location in
> d:/websites/tomcatwebsite , then the page not work and show me error
> 500.

This is very confusing.  What do you mean by "other location"?  Please post your conf/server.xml, and the contents of all files you have in Tomcat's conf/Catalina/localhost directory.

> I have http apache in my pc too.

Why?  You don't need it to run Tomcat, and it will only complicate things at this point.

 - Chuck

Re: HTTP Status 500 The server encountered an internal error () that prevented it from fulfilling this request

Posted by Tomas Rodriguez <ad...@yahoo.ca>.
 That's very odd - never seen it before.  Your Tomcat installation may be
damaged, or you may have added extra classes that you shouldn't have to your
webapp.  Refresh our memories:
I put inside of the directory example/jsp my  pagejava1jsp and I loaded with
IE at the   http://127.0.0.1:8080/examples/jsp/pagejava1.jsp
and the web page work fine, but I change for other location in
d:/websites/tomcatwebsite , then the page not work and show me error 500.
howevere here is the information that you requested me.

> 1) What version of Tomcat are you using?
6.0.18
> 2) What JRE/JDK are you using?
1.5
> 3) Have you added any jars or classes to Tomcat's lib directory?
NONE
> 4) What jars are in your webapp's WEB-INF/lib directory?
conection to mysql server 5
> 5) What classes are in your webapp's WEB-INF/classes directory?
NONE

I wanna have in other directory all example in java that I wanna build by
myself, that all, that I wanna.
I have http apache in my pc too.

thanks so much
TOMAS

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.

Posted by Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com>.
you may have wrong version catalina.jar in your classpath
I would try renaming stray catalina.jar (possibly in WEB-INF/lib folder)
and reload the webapp
see if that helps

Saludos Cordiales desde EEUU
Martin
Disclaimer and confidentiality note
This message is confidential and may be privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, we kindly ask you to  please inform the sender. Any unauthorised dissemination or copying hereof is prohibited. This message serves for information purposes only and shall not have any legally binding effect. Given that e-mails can easily be subject to manipulation, we can not accept any liability for the content provided.

> [...]
> 	org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java:342)
> 	org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:267)
> 	javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:717)
>

> root cause
>
> java.lang.ClassCastException:
> org.apache.catalina.util.DefaultAnnotationProcessor cannot be cast to
> org.apache.AnnotationProcessor
> 	org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.getServlet(JspServletWrapper.java:146)
> 	org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.service(JspServletWrapper.java:329)
> 	org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java:342)
> 	org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:267)
> 	javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:717)
>

> note The full stack trace of the root cause is available in the Apache

Internet Explorer 8 – Get your Hotmail Accelerated.  Download free!
http://clk.atdmt.com/MRT/go/141323790/direct/01/