Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com> on 1997/09/15 17:37:46 UTC

Apache for OS/2, v1.2.4 (fwd)

Anyone know what is happening with the OS/2 stuff?

Posted by Ben Laurie <be...@algroup.co.uk>.
Marc Slemko wrote:

> Anyone know what is happening with the OS/2 stuff?

Nope, but if someone wants to maintain it, we should probably let them.

Cheers,

Ben.

--
Ben Laurie            |Phone: +44 (181) 994 6435|Apache Group member
Freelance Consultant  |Fax:   +44 (181) 994 6472|http://www.apache.org

Re: Apache for OS/2, v1.2.4 (fwd)

Posted by Paul Sutton <pa...@ukweb.com>.
On Mon, 15 Sep 1997, Marc Slemko wrote:
> Anyone know what is happening with the OS/2 stuff?

I made a plea for the OS/2 maintained, Garey Smiley, to contact the group
a few weeks ago when I was planning the OS abstraction and source re-org.
I did not get any reply, so I assume that he is not maintaining it
anymore. So +1 on someone else taking it on. He's going to have a do a bit
more work on porting 1.3 though.

One thing though (slightly related). When OS/2 starts it says something
along the lines of "OS/2 port by Garey Smiley". I don't think this is a
good idea, since there are no rules for determining whose name appears
when Apache starts.  Why do the OS/2 and Win32 versions get special
treatment? No other port gets the name of the port author in the startup
message. Of course you could argue that OS/2 and (particularly) Win32
ports are "more work" than other Unix ports, but then again you could
argue that if the start-up credit goes to the person who does the most
work it should be someone else again. In short, I don't think any
individual's name should appear at startup on any system. Apache is by
"The Apache Group" and if anyone isn't happy with donating there code to
the group then we shouldn't be using their code.

//pcs