Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net> on 2004/08/11 15:19:21 UTC

Re: Subversion 1.1.0 Release Candidate 2 released. Win32 build problem

On Wed, 2004-08-11 at 01:49, Patrick Mayweg wrote:
> Hi Ben,
> the windows build does not work out of the box because of an absolut
> path to expat in build/win32/build_neon.bat. This should be a relative
> path to included apr.

Here comes an impressive display of ignorance:

Since when are we auto-generating .dsp's and .bat scripts in our release
tarballs?  Is this a new thing, something to enhance our CRLF-eol-style
.zip package?  Have I been asleep?

Up to now, my simple understanding of the world has always been:  to
build on win32, you must follow the instructions in INSTALL.  And that
means:  1. fetch lots of packages, arrange them in a special way, 2. run
gen-make.py -t dsp etc,  3. run an 'msdev' commandline, 4. manually
assemble the results.

If I had known about auto-generated .dsp/.bat files, and if they're now
being advertised as the "official" way to build a .zip release, then I
would have insisted on testing the RC2 .zip file yesterday.  It becomes
just as important as testing ./configure in the .tar.gz packages.  But
living in total ignorance, I assumed the .zip file was nothing more than
a CRLF-converted source tree.

Someone... please de-confuse me.

Re: Subversion 1.1.0 Release Candidate 2 released. Win32 build problem

Posted by Ben Reser <be...@reser.org>.
On Thu, Aug 12, 2004 at 06:28:37AM +0200, Patrick Mayweg wrote:
> The dsp and the bat files work quiet well, since I am with subversion
> (around 0.17). That was even before they were generated by gen_make.py.
> If you look in the 1.1.0-rc1 tarball you see a relative path in
> build_neon.bat. The change to an absolut path off the build machine is
> new with rc2. The build with the existing files is real simple if you
> start with the zip-file. Just copy the BDB directory into the main
> directory and you can start building. That's why I think the problem
> with the absolut path should be taken care off.

Actually I just check 1.1.0-rc1 has an absolute path as well.  But 1.0.6
does not.  The script changed between the two and ended up with an
absolute path.  Looks like the script has had some major changes since
the 1.0.x branch.

--
Ben Reser <be...@reser.org>
http://ben.reser.org

"Conscience is the inner voice which warns us somebody may be looking."
- H.L. Mencken

Re: Subversion 1.1.0 Release Candidate 2 released. Win32 build problem

Posted by Patrick Mayweg <ma...@qint.de>.
Hi Ben,
Ben Reser wrote:

>On Wed, Aug 11, 2004 at 02:14:36PM -0500, C. Michael Pilato wrote:
>

>>IMO, if we know that the .dsps aren't going to work straight out of
>>the tarball, or that we are going to recommend that folks regenerate
>>them anyway, we shouldn't include them in the tarball.
>>

>I have no idea how well and if the include dsps will work.  They've just
>always been there.  I'm leaving it up to the Windows folks to decide
>what should and should not be in there.  If they remove the files there
>will be no objection from me.

The dsp and the bat files work quiet well, since I am with subversion
(around 0.17). That was even before they were generated by gen_make.py.
If you look in the 1.1.0-rc1 tarball you see a relative path in
build_neon.bat. The change to an absolut path off the build machine is
new with rc2. The build with the existing files is real simple if you
start with the zip-file. Just copy the BDB directory into the main
directory and you can start building. That's why I think the problem
with the absolut path should be taken care off.

Patrick

Re: Subversion 1.1.0 Release Candidate 2 released. Win32 build problem

Posted by Ben Reser <be...@reser.org>.

Posted by "C. Michael Pilato" <cm...@collab.net>.

Posted by Mark Phippard <Ma...@softlanding.com>.
Ben Reser <be...@reser.org> wrote on 08/11/2004 01:12:55 PM:

> On Wed, Aug 11, 2004 at 11:50:31AM -0400, Mark Phippard wrote:
> > I also noticed that all of the .dsp files are included in the zip.
Isn't
> > that abnormal?  I thought gen-make.py produced them?
>
> It does.  They've also been included in the .tar.{gz,bz2} files for
> long before I've been the RM.  When you tell autogen.sh you're building
> a release it generates the .dsp files as well.  If this is wrong it's
> been wrong for probably at least a year or more.

I typically am pulling source from the repository when I build, so you are
probably correct.

Thanks

Mark

Re: Subversion 1.1.0 Release Candidate 2 released. Win32 build problem

Posted by Ben Reser <be...@reser.org>.

Posted by Mark Phippard <Ma...@softlanding.com>.
Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net> wrote on 08/11/2004 11:38:57 AM:

> On Wed, 2004-08-11 at 10:31, Mark Phippard wrote:
> > There has been a batch file that implements the steps in the INSTALL
> > instructions for quite a while now.  It is even referred to within
> > INSTALL.  Look at section E6.
>
> Ahhh.  I think you mean section E4:

Right.  I had even copied it to the clipboard.  I do not know why I typed
E6.

> So, back to Patrick's complaint:  where does 'build_neon.bat' come
> from?  I see that we have a 'vc6-build.bat.in', but what's the story
> with 'build_neon.bat' and 'build_locale.bat'?  Are they created by
> gen-make.py, and is that something breser is running when generating the
> .zip release?

I am not sure where it comes from, but I believe it pre-dates this other
batch file.  Doesn't it just get called during the msdev build process?  I
know there are no specific instructions for running it, so something else
must run it.

I also noticed that all of the .dsp files are included in the zip.  Isn't
that abnormal?  I thought gen-make.py produced them?

Mark

PS - Are you going to post RC2 binaries for Windows?

Re: Subversion 1.1.0 Release Candidate 2 released. Win32 build problem

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
On Wed, 2004-08-11 at 10:31, Mark Phippard wrote:
> There has been a batch file that implements the steps in the INSTALL
> instructions for quite a while now.  It is even referred to within
> INSTALL.  Look at section E6.

Ahhh.  I think you mean section E4:

"To build the binaries either follow the instructions here or use
build\win32\vc6-build.bat.in after editing it's default paths to match
yours and saving it as vc6-build.bat."

Thankfully, this is pretty mild.  It doesn't say vc6-build.bat is the
only way to build things, and in fact tells people that it needs to be
hand-edited first.

Posted by Mark Phippard <Ma...@softlanding.com>.