Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com> on 2012/03/12 20:41:13 UTC

Flume status (Was: [Incubator Wiki] Update of "March2012" by ArvindPrabhakar)

Hi,

Thanks for the report, Flume!

On Tue, Mar 6, 2012 at 7:54 PM, Apache Wiki <wi...@apache.org> wrote:
> + Progress since last report
> + [... lots of good stuff ...]

Sounds like you've made great progress since December.

> + Issues before graduation
> +  * Move the active development branch - flume-728 to trunk.

Graduation from the Incubator is not tied to technical issues.

> +  * Release a version from the trunk.

Since you've already made one incubating release, this is not a
requirement for graduation.

So based on your recent progress it seems to me like you're ready to
start preparing for graduation. Looking at flume-dev@ I notice you've
already been discussing this a bit, and prefer to avoid rushing
things. That sounds good to me, and I'm looking forward to seeing
Flume graduate as soon as you believe you're ready.

BR,

Jukka Zitting

Re: Flume status (Was: [Incubator Wiki] Update of "March2012" by ArvindPrabhakar)

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 4:55 AM, Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com> wrote:
> Since you have been reading the dev list I am sure you are already aware,
> but as one of the mentors I also consider this project ready for graduation.
> While they perform their work a little differently than in other projects I'm
> involved in, it seems to work for them.  The community seems quiet healthy
> and I suspect that once they have more solid releases based upon the
> current trunk the community is going to be quite active.

Sounds good, thanks for the background!

> The one concern I do have is that there are some PPMC members who
> joined the project when it started in the incubator who have never been heard
> from.  Is there any "normal" way of handling that on graduation?  I would think
> at least asking them to confirm they would like to be on the PMC after
> graduation would be appropriate.

Yes, you can drop inactive members from the TLP resolution. See for
example http://markmail.org/message/3x7jatwgucsqcpmr for how Qpid did
this a few years ago.

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.
On Mar 12, 2012, at 1:14 PM, Jukka Zitting wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 8:59 PM, Arvind Prabhakar <ar...@apache.org> wrote:
>> The main reason why we feel it is necessary for us to release from the
>> trunk is because up until now, our trunk contained sources in
>> com.cloudera.flume namespace which are not deprecated or transitioned
>> over to the new namespace. Very recently, we migrated our active
>> development branch (flume-728) to the trunk, moving the old trunk to
>> it's own dedicated branch (branch-0.9.5). Since then, the trunk
>> now contains sources in org.apache.flume namespace and we would
>> like to do a release from these sources.
>
> OK, cool.
>
>> Unless you mandate that we prioritize graduation over this
>> release, we would prefer to go with the release first.
>
> No worries, just proceed as you feel is best. :-)

Since you have been reading the dev list I am sure you are already aware, but as one of the mentors I also consider this project ready for graduation.  While they perform their work a little differently than in other projects I'm involved in, it seems to work for them.  The community seems quiet healthy and I suspect that once they have more solid releases based upon the current trunk the community is going to be quite active.

The one concern I do have is that there are some PPMC members who joined the project when it started in the incubator who have never been heard from.  Is there any "normal" way of handling that on graduation?  I would think at least asking them to confirm they would like to be on the PMC after graduation would be appropriate.

Ralph

Re: Flume status (Was: [Incubator Wiki] Update of "March2012" by ArvindPrabhakar)

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Arvind Prabhakar <ar...@apache.org>.
Hi Jukka,

On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 12:41 PM, Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> +  * Release a version from the trunk.
>
> Since you've already made one incubating release, this is not a
> requirement for graduation.
>
> So based on your recent progress it seems to me like you're ready to
> start preparing for graduation. Looking at flume-dev@ I notice you've
> already been discussing this a bit, and prefer to avoid rushing
> things. That sounds good to me, and I'm looking forward to seeing
> Flume graduate as soon as you believe you're ready.

The main reason why we feel it is necessary for us to release from the
trunk is because up until now, our trunk contained sources in
com.cloudera.flume namespace which are not deprecated or transitioned
over to the new namespace. Very recently, we migrated our active
development branch (flume-728) to the trunk, moving the old trunk to
it's own dedicated branch (branch-0.9.5). Since then, the trunk
now contains sources in org.apache.flume namespace and we would
like to do a release from these sources.

Unless you mandate that we prioritize graduation over this
release, we would prefer to go with the release first.

Thanks,
Arvind Prabhakar