Posted to user@oodt.apache.org by "Cayanan, Michael D (388J)" <mi...@jpl.nasa.gov> on 2012/12/12 19:15:13 UTC

Workflow 2

Hi all,

I would like to start using the latest and greatest Workflow in the trunk. Has anyone been using it lately? I'm trying to figure out which configuration files are needed now in
order to run this latest version. Or is it backwards compatible? In 0.3, I know I had to configure a couple of xml files: events.xml, task.xml, conditions.xml.
However, in the examples directory, I do see a wengine folder, where it looks like those 3 config files aren't needed anymore?

If someone can point me to some sample set of files I can use as a reference, that would be awesome! :D

Thanks,
Mike

Re: Workflow 2

Posted by "Mattmann, Chris A (388J)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>.
Mike you ROCK! I'll help you expand this. Also I'll add a link from the front page of the Wiki if you haven't already…

Cheers,
Chris

From: <Cayanan>, "Michael D (388J)" <mi...@jpl.nasa.gov>>
Date: Tuesday, December 18, 2012 11:10 AM
To: "user@oodt.apache.org<ma...@oodt.apache.org>" <us...@oodt.apache.org>>
Subject: Re: Workflow 2

Hi all,

I've started a Quick Start Guide for Workflow2 on our wiki:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OODT/Workflow2+Quick+Start+Guide

It contains some workflow.properties configuration that's needed and some FAQ on Workflow2.

Feel free to add to this page for those that our Workflow2 gurus. :) I'm a newbie to Workflow2 so I intend on adding to it at some point in the near future once I stand up a Workflow using Workflow2 policy.

Cheers,
Mike
From: <Cayanan>, "Michael D (388J)" <mi...@jpl.nasa.gov>>
Date: Thursday, December 13, 2012 3:18 PM
To: "user@oodt.apache.org<ma...@oodt.apache.org>" <us...@oodt.apache.org>>

Sounds good. Ya I saw Brian's Wengine User Guide on the wiki, but wasn't sure if it was outdated or not. It does have a lot of useful information in there.

Good idea on wanting to start up a Workflow 2 Quick Start page. I will definitely start one up and include information in this thread on there as a starting point and we'll build on it as we go along.

Cheers,
Mike

From: <Mattmann>, Chris Mattmann <Ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>>
Date: Thursday, December 13, 2012 11:43 AM
To: "user@oodt.apache.org<ma...@oodt.apache.org>" <us...@oodt.apache.org>>

Hi Mike,

From: <Cayanan>, "Michael D (388J)" <mi...@jpl.nasa.gov>>
Date: Thursday, December 13, 2012 10:41 AM
To: "user@oodt.apache.org<ma...@oodt.apache.org>" <us...@oodt.apache.org>>

Thanks for the helpful information Chris. This is a good starting point!

Woot! Can you help me start documenting this on the Apache OODT wiki? I threw up Brian's Wengine user guide, which is useful in its own right since we still have the branch out there, and some folks using it, but how about we start a new "Workflow 2 Quick Start" page on the wiki and through this and stuff below on it?

If I wanted to specify parallel tasks in a workflow, that would mean I'd have to use workflow 2 policy instead of workflow 1 policy, correct? If this isn't true, how does one specify parallel tasks using workflow 1 policy?

Yep you would use workflow2 style policy of which there are examples in src/main/resources/wengine in the trunk.

Thanks!

Cheers,
Chris

Thanks,
Mike

From: <Mattmann>, Chris Mattmann <Ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>>
Date: Wednesday, December 12, 2012 6:50 PM
To: "user@oodt.apache.org<ma...@oodt.apache.org>" <us...@oodt.apache.org>>

Hey Mike,

From: <Cayanan>, "Michael D (388J)" <mi...@jpl.nasa.gov>>
Date: Wednesday, December 12, 2012 10:15 AM
To: "user@oodt.apache.org<ma...@oodt.apache.org>" <us...@oodt.apache.org>>
Subject: Workflow 2

Hi all,

I would like to start using the latest and greatest Workflow in the trunk. Has anyone been using it lately?

That would be me :)

I'm trying to figure out which configuration files are needed now in
order to run this latest version. Or is it backwards compatible?

It's fully back compat. So feel free to point wengine at your existing CAS workflow 1 policy and it should load fine.

 In 0.3, I know I had to configure a couple of xml files: events.xml, task.xml, conditions.xml.
However, in the examples directory, I do see a wengine folder, where it looks like those 3 config files aren't needed anymore?

They don't have to be used, but they can be used.

If someone can point me to some sample set of files I can use as a reference, that would be awesome! :D

Sure, check this out:

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/oodt/trunk/workflow/src/main/resources/examples/

Those files should work fine. Give it a try. As for your workflow.properties file, it should look like this:

# wengine properties
# define workflow prioritizer class to use for sorting workflow tasks
org.apache.oodt.cas.workflow.wengine.prioritizer=org.apache.oodt.cas.workflow.structs.FILOPrioritySorter
org.apache.oodt.cas.workflow.wengine.taskquerier.waitSeconds=2

# the maximum number of threads to be used by the asynchronous engine runner
org.apache.oodt.cas.workflow.engine.asynchronous.runner.num.threads=25

You'll need those properties at a minimum. Then, at the top of your file, select:

# workflow repository factory
workflow.repo.factory = org.apache.oodt.cas.workflow.repository.PackagedWorkflowRepositoryFactory

# workflow engine factory
workflow.engine.factory = org.apache.oodt.cas.workflow.engine.PrioritizedQueueBasedWorkflowEngineFactory

# engine runner factory
workflow.wengine.runner.factory=org.apache.oodt.cas.workflow.engine.runner.AsynchronousLocalEngineRunnerFactory

Remember for your packaged workflow repo to set:

# wengine-style packaged workflow repo properties
org.apache.oodt.cas.workflow.wengine.packagedRepo.dir.path = /path/to/wengine/workflow/files

And to define your wengine lifecycle:

org.apache.oodt.cas.workflow.lifecycle.filePath=/usr/local/workflow/policy/wengine/wengine-lifecycle.xml

HTH!

Cheers,
Chris

Re: Workflow 2