Posted to asp@perl.apache.org by "Kulp, David" <da...@affymetrix.com> on 2002/04/22 23:50:58 UTC

Disappearing $Request!

After using Apache::ASP for a few months, I've just started to see the
following error.  It repeats on multiple pages but usually goes away after a
few minutes.
Errors Output
	$Request->Params object does not exist, enable with 'PerlSetVar
RequestParams 1' at
/nfs/linux/pkg/perl/build-1/lib/site_perl/5.6.1/Apache/ASP.pm line 3382,
/nfs/linux/pkg/perl/build-1/lib/site_perl/5.6.1/Apache/ASP.pm line 1556

I have RequestParams set to 1 in the httpd.conf, and no .htaccess sets it
differently.  I can't imagine what I might have done to cause this to occur.

Any clues?

Thanks.

Re: Disappearing $Request!

Posted by Joshua Chamas <jo...@chamas.com>.
"Kulp, David" wrote:

> After using Apache::ASP for a few months, I've just started to see the
> following error.  It repeats on multiple pages but usually goes away after a
> few minutes.
> Errors Output
>         $Request->Params object does not exist, enable with 'PerlSetVar
> RequestParams 1' at
> /nfs/linux/pkg/perl/build-1/lib/site_perl/5.6.1/Apache/ASP.pm line 3382,
> /nfs/linux/pkg/perl/build-1/lib/site_perl/5.6.1/Apache/ASP.pm line 1556
>
> I have RequestParams set to 1 in the httpd.conf, and no .htaccess sets it
> differently.  I can't imagine what I might have done to cause this to occur.

The actual code that does the Request->Params init looks like this:

    if($r->dir_config('RequestParams')) {
	$self->{'Params'} = bless { %$parsed_query, %$form }, 'Apache::ASP::Collection';
    }

Its very likely that something is interfering with your RequestParams setting.
If you have a top level RequestParams setting in httpd.conf, I might
try a setting more directly in your VirtualHost or <Files>, <Directory>
tag, etc., in case the top level setting is being lost for some reason.

I had seen odd behavior with how mod_perl merges PerlSetVar settings
before, and could see something like this behaving inconsistently.

What really strikes me as odd is your report that it goes away
after a few minutes which implies to me that something gets loaded
at runtime that affects your mod_perl behavior.  This would point
to a .htaccess, but may even be some perl module?

Does this behavior occur after a fresh httpd stop/start ?
Is your's a DSO installation?, if so such oddities might
go away if you rebuild with a statically linked mod_perl.
When DSO builds start messing up, they do so in an inconsistent
way from what I have seen.

--Josh