Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org> on 2003/02/12 03:24:29 UTC

Semantic linking (Re: Cinclude issues...)

On Tue, Feb 11, 2003 at 03:22:53PM -0500, Ben Young wrote:
> Ok, Jeff. I've been pondering this site.xml thing all day.

Btw, the LinkRewriterTransformer is currently only in 2.1.  Although as
the InputModules it depends on are also in 2.0.4, it could be ported
fairly easily.

> <aside>BTW, thanks for the upgrade suggestion. 8o)</aside> I have a
> couple questions about semantic linking that maybe you can field.
>
> I don't want to give up the "old" linking method just yet, but I would
> like to use semantic linking for certain scenarios. Is this posible
> with the linkmap implementation?

Yes, it's not an either/or choice.  If a link happens to start with
'site:' (or somesuch prefix) it will be translated.  Pretty much any XML
format can be used, by changing the XPath prefix and suffix.

> In order to manage the 7,000+ pages I would definitely need the
> XInclude ability. Would that be very hard to add?

Just a matter of adding <map:tansform type="xinclude"/> to the pipeline.

Though, the XInclude transformer isn't very good.  XPointer support is
dodgy ('/site/samples' doesn't work, but '/site/samples/*' does), and
there is no support for the xmlns() scheme, meaning if your XML uses
namespaces like Forrest's site.xml, you have to use
*[local-name()='foo'].  You might be better off using XML &entities;.

> How hard is it to set up one's own link schemas?

Requires defining a few input modules in cocoon.xconf and the sitemap.
See CVS Cocoon's linkrewriter block
(http://localhost:8080/cocoon/samples/linkrewriter/).  Actually, wait for
me to commit a fix for the bookdemo sample..

--Jeff