Posted to solr-dev@lucene.apache.org by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org> on 2009/06/20 00:35:38 UTC

Re: SearchComponents and Distributed Search

On Fri, 22 May 2009, Yonik Seeley wrote:

: > I think it is reasonable to say, at this point, that we should now require
: > any new SearchComponents to be distributed capable before committing.
:
: That's too high of a bar.
: If something is good and useful, it should be committed.
: And we certainly never want to discourage anyone from submitting a
: patch just because it lacks distributed search support.

+1 ... as long as components are well documented about what they do/don't
support i think we're fine.

The real key is to make sure we don't have any new components that *look*
like they work fine in distributed search, but are silently ignoring
certain options, or skipping steps in some calculation.  (if i remember
correctly there are some features of hte FacetComponent that violate this
principle)

if it looks like it worked when you do a distributed query, it should
really work, if it doesn't work it should error.

-Hoss

Re: SearchComponents and Distributed Search

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.
On Jun 19, 2009, at 6:35 PM, Chris Hostetter wrote:

> On Fri, 22 May 2009, Yonik Seeley wrote:
>
> : > I think it is reasonable to say, at this point, that we should
> now require
> : > any new SearchComponents to be distributed capable before
> committing.
> :
> : That's too high of a bar.
> : If something is good and useful, it should be committed.
> : And we certainly never want to discourage anyone from submitting a
> : patch just because it lacks distributed search support.
>
> +1 ... as long as components are well documented about what they do/
> don't
> support i think we're fine.

If it is going to be a default component, I don't agree.  It should be
distributed before committed.

If it's an add-on, then agreed, although I still think we are just
asking for headaches.

-Grant