Posted to dev@cayenne.apache.org by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org> on 2006/04/07 20:07:13 UTC

CAY-488

We discussed this UI with Mike K in the past, so I figured I'd check
in the early preview to show where this is going. If you build the
Modeler from CVS, you'll see "Tools -> Generate Code" menu next to
"Generated Classes" (that will be soon replaced with "Generate Code").

"Generate Code" panel has three generation modes - standard server,
standard client and custom. This way I tried to remove the visual
clutter for default modes, and still provide the ability to customize
everything.

Mike, do you think this'll work for your complex scenarios (of course
I haven't yet done the custom mode)?

Andrus

Re: CAY-488

Posted by Mike Kienenberger <mk...@gmail.com>.
> > Strange.  I don't see anything different when running your new code,
> > and I've verified that it has the last set of commit changes.

Oops.   I forgot to build it with java 1.5, and it failed -- I was
still looking at the old version.   Yes, it looks like a good start.

Re: CAY-488

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.
On Apr 8, 2006, at 7:55 PM, Mike Kienenberger wrote:

> Strange.  I don't see anything different when running your new code,
> and I've verified that it has the last set of commit changes.

In the fresh modeler you should see Tools -> Generate Code -> Custom
Objects

http://objectstyle.org/downloads/cayenne/generator.jpg

Andrus

Re: CAY-488

Posted by Mike Kienenberger <mk...@gmail.com>.
On 4/8/06, Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org> wrote:
> Just checked in the mockup of the custom code generation panel. See
> attached image (unless the list strips image attachments as well as
> *.java ones)

Strange.  I don't see anything different when running your new code,
and I've verified that it has the last set of commit changes.

One other thing suggested by the infra person was to rename an
attachment to .txt.

Re: Mailing lists

Posted by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com>.
Mike Kienenberger wrote:
> On 4/8/06, Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org> wrote:
>>I wonder at what point and how can we get infra carma
>>to do such things ourselves and make everyone's life easier?
>
> I'm told it's the same way as any other -- meritocracy -- However, I
> don't know how someone earns merit doing sysadmin work without doing
> some first!

Here's a page on how to become an infra volunteer:
http://www.apache.org/dev/infra-volunteer.html .

http://incubator.apache.org/guides/committer.html has tips for new
committers in the incubator. As soon as you have your apache account,
subscribe to infrastructure@apache.org . Start by listening, then start
building merit by responding to any questions you can answer.

 -jean

Re: Mailing lists

Posted by Mike Kienenberger <mk...@gmail.com>.
On 4/8/06, Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org> wrote:
> So a question to our mentors and current Apache committers. Does it
> mean that we will need to bother someone every time wit such small
> admin requests?

Yes, I think so.  But most of the time, there aren't going to be
requests like this.

Re: Mailing lists

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.
On Apr 11, 2006, at 2:35 AM, Jean T. Anderson wrote:

> Andrus Adamchik wrote:
>> The biggest issue so far is the moderation. Our old list simply
>> bounced
>> posts from addresses that are not subscribed, and it worked
>> extremely
>> well. Current setup sends those emails to me and Bill for  moderation
>> (approval or rejection). Of course all of those messages  are spam. I
>> received 96 moderation spams since March 28. So the  moderation
>> has to
>> be replaced with bounces.
>
> You don't have to respond at all to reject a post -- just ignore those
> moderation requests (I delete them). After a week they'll time out and
> automatically be rejected.
>
> Just respond to the ones you want approved. That saves time.
>
>  -jean

Hi Jean,

Thanks for the links on infra participation in your other message.

I know that I don't have to reply to moderation messages... But the
same thing is often said about spam in general - "just hit delete" -
a solution I personally can't live with. Besides moderation spam is
worse than general spam, as I have to inspect all moderation messages
(moderation is enabled, I am a moderator, so I can't ignore my
duties :-)).

At the same time changing moderation to bouncing solves the problem
once and for all.

Andrus

Re: Mailing lists

Posted by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com>.

Mailing lists

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.
On Apr 8, 2006, at 7:45 PM, Mike Kienenberger wrote:

> Looks like it was stripped.  Someone from infra suggested that we ask
> on the incubator list to have our mailing list preferences changed.

Ok... I have a few more list related requests, so maybe we should
combine them in a single Jira issue, post it to the Infra Jira and cc
to the incubator.

The biggest issue so far is the moderation. Our old list simply
bounced posts from addresses that are not subscribed, and it worked
extremely well. Current setup sends those emails to me and Bill for
moderation (approval or rejection). Of course all of those messages
are spam. I received 96 moderation spams since March 28. So the
moderation has to be replaced with bounces.

I haven't brought it up yet, cause there is one case where we need
moderation - emails from jira are coming from jira-
noreply@objectstyle.org (and will soon change to a jira address
@apache). @ObjectStyle Jira address is setup to be allowed to post,
but not receive messages from the list. I have no idea how to set it
up in our new list without a shell access to the box running the
list. So I am waiting till the jira is switched.

So a question to our mentors and current Apache committers. Does it
mean that we will need to bother someone every time wit such small
admin requests? I wonder at what point and how can we get infra carma

Re: CAY-488

Posted by Mike Kienenberger <mk...@gmail.com>.
Looks like it was stripped.  Someone from infra suggested that we ask
on the incubator list to have our mailing list preferences changed.

I've just done a cvs upgrade and am doing a build.

Re: CAY-488

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.