Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Simone Tripodi <si...@apache.org> on 2011/04/23 16:56:03 UTC

[C3] replacing the logging framework

Hi all guys,
Reinhard, Francesco and I had a quick chat on tweeter about replacing
the logging framework in C3 and we all agreed on migrating to SLF4J +
Logback.
IMHO it is an operation simple enough that can be completed before
proceeding to next release, what does someone else think about it?
If there isn't any objection, I can take easily take care of it, just
let me know!
Have a nice day, all the best,
Simo

http://www.99soft.org/

Re: [C3] replacing the logging framework

Posted by Francesco Chicchiriccò <ch...@gmail.com>.
Simone Tripodi <si...@apache.org> wrote:

>Hi all guys,
>Reinhard, Francesco and I had a quick chat on tweeter about replacing
>the logging framework in C3 and we all agreed on migrating to SLF4J +
>Logback.
>IMHO it is an operation simple enough that can be completed before
>proceeding to next release, what does someone else think about it?
>If there isn't any objection, I can take easily take care of it, just
>let me know!

Go Simone, go!!! :-)

--
Apache Cocoon Committer and PMC Member

http://people.apache.org/~ilgrosso/

Re: [C3] replacing the logging framework

Posted by Francesco Chicchiriccò <il...@apache.org>.
> On 19/07/2011 13:46, Thorsten Scherler wrote:
>> On Wed, 2011-04-27 at 09:25 +0200, Simone Tripodi wrote:
>>> Hi all guys,
>>> thanks for your feedbacks, I didn't change any single line of code
>>> indeed before hearing about possible side-effects.
>>> I agree with Jasha, let's release the alpha-3 first, then adding
>>> improvements in future releases!
>> Should we pick that thread up again.
>>
>> Do we have an issue open for this task?
>
> Now we do: COCOON3-69.

Gents,
I've just committed all the modifications involved with this issue: now
there should be no remaining trace of commons-logging or log4j
throughout the source code, besides the necessary exclusions in some POM
files.

A couple of remarks:

1. I had to modify various source files: all the tests pass - well, at
least on my Linux machine - but you never know about side effects, so
please check if everything is still working after updating.

2. Among other things, I had to write a substitute for
Log4JConfigurator, part of cocoon-spring-configurator; for the moment I
put the new class (LogbackConfigurator) in cocoon-servlet, mainly
because that module had all necessary dependencies and is included in
cocoon-sample-webapp and cocoon-sample-wicket-webapp that are actually
using cocoon-spring-configurator for configuring logging.
Of course, the right place is instead in cocoon-spring-configurator
sources, so how could we handle this? Can I move that class to
cocoon-spring-configurator's? In which SVN place? And how can we release
a SNAPSHOT version of this subproject?

TIA.
Regards.

--
Francesco Chicchiriccò

Posted by Francesco Chicchiriccò <il...@apache.org>.
On 19/07/2011 13:46, Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> On Wed, 2011-04-27 at 09:25 +0200, Simone Tripodi wrote:
>> Hi all guys,
>> thanks for your feedbacks, I didn't change any single line of code
>> indeed before hearing about possible side-effects.
>> I agree with Jasha, let's release the alpha-3 first, then adding
>> improvements in future releases!
> Should we pick that thread up again.
>
> Do we have an issue open for this task?

Now we do: COCOON3-69.

Thanks!

--
Francesco Chicchiriccò

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <sc...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, 2011-04-27 at 09:25 +0200, Simone Tripodi wrote:
> Hi all guys,
> thanks for your feedbacks, I didn't change any single line of code
> indeed before hearing about possible side-effects.
> I agree with Jasha, let's release the alpha-3 first, then adding
> improvements in future releases!

Should we pick that thread up again.

Do we have an issue open for this task?

salu2
codeBusters S.L. - web based systems
<consulting, training and solutions>
http://www.codebusters.es/

Re: [C3] replacing the logging framework

Posted by Reinhard Pötz <re...@apache.org>.
On 04/27/2011 09:25 AM, Simone Tripodi wrote:
> I can take care of making the release - any advice before I start? :)

see https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/cocoon/cocoon3/trunk/RELEASE_HOWTO.txt

you can also contact me via Skype if you have any questions. Good luck ;-)

     http://s.apache.org/JCPIsDead       http://s.apache.org/tck-trap

Re: [C3] replacing the logging framework

Posted by Simone Tripodi <si...@apache.org>.
Hi all guys,
thanks for your feedbacks, I didn't change any single line of code
indeed before hearing about possible side-effects.
I agree with Jasha, let's release the alpha-3 first, then adding
improvements in future releases!
I can take care of making the release - any advice before I start? :)
Thanks in advance, have a nice day!!!
Simo

http://www.99soft.org/

Posted by Jasha Joachimsthal <j....@onehippo.com>.